Georgenko

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
Hello everyone,
I'm new to laptops and I recently bought one. The system specs are here:http://www.wootware.co.za/lenovo-ideapad-y5070-intel-core-i7-4710hq-2-5-ghz-15-6-full-hd-led-1920x1080-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx860m-4gb-8gb-sshd-1tb-hdd-windows-8-1-single-language-64-bit-notebook.html
As you can see, it's quite a beast for its price and i chose this model to be able to play games during my free time. The laptop came with a Windows 8.1 operating system, which annoyed me quite a bit and two days later I installed a Windows 7 Professional . However, I still experience gaming trouble with it. When I'm plugged in there is no problem. I play World of Tanks with quite good graphics and the fps go around 50-80. The problem is when I stop charging my computer start the game on battery - the fps immediately go down to 29 and i can tell for sure the laptop isnt using the dedicated GPU (or it uses both the NVIDIA GTX860M and the integrated intel hd 4000). I've read quite a lot in internet and I know there's a lot of people who experience the same type of problem. Most of them have solved their problem however I don't. If i was on a PC, I would probably not mind but a laptop can't stay a lot of time on battery, because the battery becomes useless (its life comes slowly to an end) and the laptop overheats unnecesary. It all probably has to do with the NVIDIA Optimus technology, I don't know, but i would really appreciate if someone could help me. :) Edit: I have tried a lot of stuff but in order to solve my problem I will do as you suggest, so anything as an answer I would appreciate :)

Georgenko

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

In Control Panel - Hardware Sound - Battery Options I have chosen High Performance. Is this what you have in mind? Should I change the Minimum Processor State in Advanced Settings?

Georgenko

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

Well i checked in Bios but in the Configuration Menu all I got is:
Power Beep *also USB Legacy, Wireless lan, Sata Controller Mode, Graphic Device, Intel Virtual Technology, Bios Flash Back, Hotkey Mode, Always on US* - those are the only options in BIOS

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

only logical choice is to RMA your laptop. you probably have some faulty parts.

Georgenko

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

Why do u think so? Something in the Bios tells u that or?

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
well all the settings are ok..but as you said after you unplug the adaptor the fps goes down. seems not all has this problem. that means that laptop batch has a faulty component was sold. but since some found a fix/workaroud...they dis-regarded it.

Georgenko

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

Well I think it has to do with the Nvidia new technology Optimus which ruins everything by chosing how both graphics card work without allowing you to choose between them anytime. I'm telling you this cause I still think it has to do with NVidia Optimus and also because I reinstalled another Windows on the laptop and don't know if the warranty will work :D, which is a bummer.

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

maybe your right or maybe not. but i things for sure not all people who bought this laptop has trouble with it(not functioning properly in battery mode, low FPS). that leads me to believe you have some faulty parts.