Why Apple is Tracking Your iPhones and iPads

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlitelyOff

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Uhmm...because multitasking requires tracking your every move for extended periods of time and putting them all in a database that stores your location? If that is truly an explanation...then that is possibly the lamest excuse I have ever heard. The latter excuse is pretty bogus as well. Once the data is collected why not delete the file? Also, from what I understand, this data was being collected EVEN IF you state that you do not want tracking enabled. Isn't that by itself an issue?

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
"Does this sound legit to you?"

You're supposed to be a reporter, do your self a favour and avoid abbreviations.

Also this is Bravo Sierra, I'd be interested to see what other companies track your movements via digital device.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Sounds legit, but wouldn't be surprised if it was used for something else as well. I'm sure nearly every smartphone out there had a similar system, including Android. So I fail to see why everyone is in such a tizzy about Apple doing this on the iPhone.

On top of this, it also says EXPLICITLY when you agree to activate your iPhone that it has tracking software installed. So it isn't like Apple is hiding anything from their customers. Just sounds like the customers are too lazy to read or ask questions before they buy their iPhone.

Therefore, I have no sympathy for iPhone users.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Apple should be held accountable, maybe a 1 billion dollar lawsuit would straighten them out.[/citation]

corporations will never learn, unless you go after their wallets. while what you said is meant to be sarcastic, a class action lawsuit could be filed on them for this, and you could legitimately expect a suit in the range of 100-500million. however everyone who sends in a claim with a ios4 device would get a cut.

now, this could be used to better the iphone, such as getting data about where its customers are, free hotspots, and send the info to the iphone to make internet faster with less hassle, though this isn't the case.

G

Why is everyone singling out Apple? Google's Android devices have the same kind of location services. And iPhones and Androids both give you the option to opt-in, or to opt-out.

I'm not in love with Apple, and when it comes time for a new smart phone I'll probably get an Android. But this shameless smear campaign really needs to stop.

G

Delete the comment above me! Span is ruining the Internet!!!

I just wanted to point out that there are many conflicting reports on this iPhone tracking SNAFU. First off, the conspiracy was initially only related to cell triangulation, which you would never be able to disable save for turning off your phone.

Now this article, (and others) are reporting that the iPhone is tracking with actual GPS. in either case, why do people think this is a big deal?

If you didn't know you phone and "the man" could acquire your location history from a cell phone - or from the towers it pings, you are living in a closet. Cellular phones have been required to have a gps chip installed since the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I could understand if it they wanted to improve networks in heavily used locations first, but that damn GPS chip still uses extra battery power. Who knows how much more battery life one could get if this was disabled. Might be 10 minutes, or could be over an extra hour of power.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]neonbinary[/nom]Why is everyone singling out Apple? Google's Android devices have the same kind of location services. And iPhones and Androids both give you the option to opt-in, or to opt-out.I'm not in love with Apple, and when it comes time for a new smart phone I'll probably get an Android. But this shameless smear campaign really needs to stop.[/citation]
You are in love with Apple, otherwise you'd understand the difference between explicit service that you can disable and somehting that you aren't even aware of and cannot be switched off.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
The most sad part of the story is, that itards would buy this unbelievably shameless "oh, it's for multitasking" "explanation"

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Waa.. im a android lover and i dont like apples tracking crap: Well stop bitc#ing about it and dont buy one.

And Waa im a iphone user and i dont like it either: Well, next time learn to read... its in the contract... I swear 99% of you would sell yourself into slavery without even knowing it because you dont know how to read what your signing.

I swear most of you argue about the most pointless stuff. None of which is constructive... Point in case Apple as of this moment is not known to be doing anything illegal, so quit whining. Dont like it then go toss your 700$ iphone in the trash.

End rant

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Why Apple is Tracking Your iPhones and iPads$$$[/citation]
Second reason: because they can.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
iOS security expert Alex Levinson contributed to a book where the file was explained as being an aid to multitasking as implemented by Apple.
So, in other words, though being an "iOS Security Expert" he's completely clueless about hardware/software.... Sorry, but for multi-tasking to function properly, the device does not, under any circumstances, need to know exactly where on the planet it is physically located. This is simply Apple deciding that loss of privacy is an acceptable alternative to their competition.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Deftdrummer[/nom]Delete the comment above me! Span is ruining the Internet!!! I just wanted to point out that there are many conflicting reports on this iPhone tracking SNAFU. First off, the conspiracy was initially only related to cell triangulation, which you would never be able to disable save for turning off your phone. Now this article, (and others) are reporting that the iPhone is tracking with actual GPS. in either case, why do people think this is a big deal? If you didn't know you phone and "the man" could acquire your location history from a cell phone - or from the towers it pings, you are living in a closet. Cellular phones have been required to have a gps chip installed since the terrorist attacks of 9/11.[/citation]
There's a huge difference between the cellphone company having to access tower data to determine your location, or law enforcement having too access the GPS chip...and the phone storing COMPLETE , physical location data in a file that is easily accessible to anyone that steals your phone.....who can use that data to determine the best time to enter and remove possessions from your house... This "feature" is a security risk.....period. If you can't comprehend that, you're dumber than the people working for Apple...

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Why Apple is Tracking Your iPhones and iPads$$$[/citation]
Really? So that's why these days many phones come with a GPS chip but no user-software pre-installed.

I didn't know that.

Now I understand that the Wifi-only ipad has NO GPS chip, does it also store this info?

Status
Not open for further replies.