Why Apple's iWatch Already Beats Android Wear

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen XVIII

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Apple doesn't release any product until it's been thoroughly tested, redesigned, tested again, etc., etc. By the time their product hits the shelves, they are so convinced they have it perfected, that nobody else is allowed to do squat with it, hence the golden cage allegory.

Google likes to get something to the point of being functional, and throw it out into the world. Their philosophy is more, "We made this thing, what would you do with it?"

With Apple, you get a product that knows what it is and does it well right out of the gate. But, it really doesn't evolve unless Apple is directly involved. Google likes to give us products that are still in developer mode: functional, but still trying to find its place in the world. When an end user finds a good use for it, the community can take the product in a whole new direction and run with it. Neither approach is better than the other, they each work for different segments of the population, but to claim that the i-watch 'already beats Android Wear' is foolish. Apple's product may be superior at launch, we'll see. But Wear has much greater long-term potential thanks to crowd-development. In this specific instance, I think Google's head start will make all the difference.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
RDF is still in full effect in 2014. I honestly don't know why any tech sites re-post marketing from WSJ any more. It's well established they're basically just posting "news" requested by Apple.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
apple hasnt even hinted at a iwatch. even at the developer conference. it does not exist, its all rumor, yet you keep writing link bait.

zdaggs

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
The point is that Android Wear's shaky start leaves the door open for a more successful iWatch launch.

" Android Wear's shaky start leaves the door open for a more successful iWatch launch." Maybe this should have been your title then if you weren't trying to start a brand war. However stating that apple has already won in the title is counter productive to your argument that toms hardware does not take sides.

Obviously the author has already taken sides if he is stating apple's hardware (which is based solely on rumors) has Won.

I personally think that the smart watch will evolve much like the smart phone, with each generation building off the innovations from each previous generation, till we have a useful device on our hands...er wrists. anyone remember the old smart phones like the semins sx56. We've come a long ways since then and added so much functionality. I say we hold our decisions on winners till we're a few generations in at least.

Snake72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Just so we're clear here, are we comparing a watch that does not exist yet to a watch that is a year old?

So they rush a garbage product to market that no one wants. Apple takes it's time. See's what trending, refines their product and when it's released it will make billions. A hospital in my area is already testing the health API. They already use iPads for everything and will easily integrate the iWatch into their system. Again...rush garbage to market or take your time and do it right.

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
The iphone still sucks compared to android. If it were not for iphone I would not have a job doing tech support so there is that.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I'm loving my Gear 2. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Walking around the office or the house, I don't have to have my phone in my pocket all the time, my Gear 2 notifies me of any incoming alerts / calls / etc, and I go and pick up my phone.

If I'm up in the racking, running a new fiber, and my phone rings, I can tell them from my wrist that I'm too busy to talk now, and get to check it was not a really important call too.

Sleep tracking, phone finding, call taking whilst driving, and style (people love it). I see no half-baked product here.

Actually, we're comparing a watch that isn't out yet to one that is just released. The point is that Android Wear's shaky start leaves the door open for a more successful iWatch launch.

As you'll see, I outline the strengths and weaknesses of Android Wear thus far. And based on multiple reports on the iWatch's capabilities, it seems at this point that Apple will be able to advantage of Android Wear's shortcomings.

Android Wear should improve with age, but right now it doesn't feel fully baked.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I think I take my CItizen Eco-Drive, it tells time and does a dang good job at it. Last I checked that was what you used a watch for.

Spent $70 on one of the lower end models the hand luminate quite well, easy to read dial, 6month power reserve, solar powered, in 20 years expected to still hold 80% max capacity. I think there are even models that have 7 year power reserves. I don't think there is a smart watch on the market that competes with it.

DontBotherMe

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
The author of the article, if I can call it an article, says he does not take sides yet he does throughout the article!

A writer writing about a product that doesn't exist and then declares this fictitious product the winner is downright laughable WOW!

Please TomsHardware, do something about your Apple problem! Too many Apple Trojan Horses in your writing staff! Normally the propaganda is thick but this is over the top silly!

Status
Not open for further replies.