Why can\'t my laptop run games without facing any troubles?

Dreadful420

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hi, I really need some help. 1 year and like six months ago, I bought a laptop with the folowing specifications:

HP pavilion notebook Pc dv6
Intel(R) Core(TM( i7 CPU Q720 @1.60GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (2.93 usable)
64 bits
1GB Ati Mobility Radeon Premium Graphics DirectX11.

Six months ago I had to change the motherboard because my laptop was the slowest thing ever, and often it crashed. The first time I had troubles with my laptop was when I installed and ran COD and Warcraft. It started with a few blue screens, and then it was imposible to work with my laptop

Well, after the new motherboard I bought an external fan and haven't had any trouble until now: Las week I installed an ran the game Borderlands 2 in my laptop, the game wasn't running and two day after that again a blue screen appeared, now I'm afraid of loosing my laptop, and google chrome doesn't run like it did before.

My question is why if my computer have those specifications I can run perfectly any game that I want?
And that if exists any link between running these games and the crash of my computer?
What can I do?

Dreadful420

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks for the answer guys.

I really don´t know much about good specifications to play, so when I bought these notebook I believed that they were teally good specs, until now!!

Well I don´t know were can I see the graphics unit ?

So I better stop trying to run any game?

Hazle

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

regardless of the graphics card, unfortunately that's about your only choice for that laptop if pre-2005 game aren't your kinda thing.

jnkweaver

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
There aren't too many laptops (I would say none but then someone will show me on) that run games very well. The CPU and GPU are just too tight so cooling is difficult. Once the high end systems get too hot they throttle down making it worse than a desktop from 7 years ago. If you want to game other than solitaire you need to get a desktop system that can be cooled properly.

envy14tpe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

I had a HP Envy with a i5 and it did not handle games well. Your dv6 is better equipped for gaming, but I think your learning a lesson that I did too....Serious gaming must be done using a desktop. I thought I could spend $1000 on a laptop and play new games, but sadly its not the case. After a year of trying to game my HP started having issues, and I think it was heat related.

You could buy a cooling pad, which I'm sure would make your laptop happy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997730

But I'm afraid to say...desktops are better. You might want to consider building a desktop. Afterall, how often do you take your laptop out with you?