Solved! Why does my laptop automatically use intel graphics for the hdmi port?

Omar Little

Estimable
Feb 2, 2017
Hey,

I recently bought the MSI GF75 9SD-056 and everything has been working fine so far. The only problem i have is when i connect my laptop to my 4k Samsung tv. In games my laptop seems to be choosing the dedicated gpu (gtx 1660ti) but on desktop and when watching movies it seems to be using intel graphics. I can tell by the low framerates and the choppiness of the mouse cursor. Also 4k movies stutter when i connect my laptop to the tv. The only thing that solves this is deactivating intel graphics in the hardware manager. This leads to a smooth experience. This also tells me that my laptop can run only with the dedicated graphics, but when i deactivate intel graphics i can no longer access nvidia control panel. I guess both gpu's need to be running so i can access those settings. That being said, what can i do so my laptop actually uses the dedicated gpu when i connect it to my tv? I assume that intel graphics is just not powerful enough to process 4k at high refresh rates (60 hz). I've already turned global settings to max peformance. Deactivating intel graphics every time i connect it to the tv is pretty annoying.