Why does Sony Movie Studio 12 have extreme lag when editing videos?

Rattiom

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I was getting higher play back speeds when I was using an Nvidia GT720 GPU, but when I upgraded the FPS of Movie Studio 12 seems to have dropped significantly. This doesn't do this for anything except Movie Studio, games run at much higher FPS on higher settings, so my card is fine.

My specs are:
CPU : Intel Core i7 - 4790 @ 3.60 (8 CPU's)
GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti (Approx. 6GB VRAM)
~ Dirextx Version 12.0
RAM : 8GB (Just using the stock RAM that came with my desktop right now)
Storage : 1TB HDD with Windows installed, and a 120GB Kingston SSD with Movie Studio installed on it.

Any help would be appreciated, as my YouTube channel relies heavily on video editing, and it is becoming increasingly more difficult.

(Also, I wasn't really sure what category to put this in.)

Solution
Make sure any performance settings weren't sent back to default with that new GPU. Studio recognizes whether a GPU is in your PC or not, so it may have seen that a new GPU was put in and reset default performance settings, specifically "render CPU only" or "render GPU if available" or "automatic." I have Studio 11 so am not familiar with 12's menu options.

Since I overclock my CPU to 4.7GHz for rendering, I choose render as CPU. You will definitely get better rendering performance from your CPU than the 750Ti GPU. Anyway here's a link to checking performance settings in 11, and 12 should have something similar:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/GPU_power_in_Vegas_Pro_11

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Make sure any performance settings weren't sent back to default with that new GPU. Studio recognizes whether a GPU is in your PC or not, so it may have seen that a new GPU was put in and reset default performance settings, specifically "render CPU only" or "render GPU if available" or "automatic." I have Studio 11 so am not familiar with 12's menu options.

Since I overclock my CPU to 4.7GHz for rendering, I choose render as CPU. You will definitely get better rendering performance from your CPU than the 750Ti GPU. Anyway here's a link to checking performance settings in 11, and 12 should have something similar:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/GPU_power_in_Vegas_Pro_11

Solution

Rattiom

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Thanks, I'll try messing with a couple of those settings now.