News Why I’m glad I built a gaming PC — and why you should, too

theronaldoblack

Honorable
Aug 22, 2017
If you’ve been on the fence about building your own PC, the benefits go well beyond gaming.

Why I’m glad I built a gaming PC — and why you should, too : Read more
Well I just think the author of the article should point out that now is NOT the right time to build a gaming pc, unless they absolutely have to. The article is fun and uplifting, and a great ad for toms hardware to go out and buy pc parts.
But real life and current conditions make it a nightmare, especially someone new to pc building, to grab all the parts they need at a sane price point. No matter your budget or need, the current pandemic, and world wide demand for all things electronics has driven prices up 200%++ on many items.

Take the power supply shortage, a good 650w PS 80 gold modular is going for $129 when just 8 months ago it was going for around 65$. Motherboards are also prohibitively expensive, even ones a couple of generations ago. Processors, heatsinks and fans of all kinds. And while new graphics cards just hit shelves, much of the GPU stock sold through this spring, resulting in higher prices across the boards, unless you are lucky enough to reserve a MSRP new card (highly unlikely).
Used cards are available, because of the generation gap, but even they will be much cheaper this fall or after Covid-19 has subsided enough so that supply chain interruptions are not near constant.

I know tom hardware ad revue is based on a community that is actively buying and selling computer parts but right now that supply/demand chain is broken. I think it would be wiser to suggest, to hold off on building your first gaming pc until times are better. Like next year. Honestly, no one needs a gaming PC, few really need a high end work PC, and spending double your budget, is not wise for many all around the world. Sorry to be a downer, but a little shade oftentimes makes the original look better.

Oct 2, 2020
The biggest problem with PC gaming though is all the hackers/cheaters for this reason alone since BF1, BF5, Apex Legends, COD I didn't have a choice but to buy a console to play those games and others. All the hacking is what's ruining PC gaming for me and others I know.

Plus the AAA games just have a bigger pool of people playing them a lot longer.

Not everybody has a PC let alone a gaming PC or even wants one with the hassle/cost and all, so they need something to play games on.