News Why I’m not buying the new iMac 2021

May 2, 2021
Honestly, the biggest reason I could see for upgrading to this one is a better webcam since most people using a Mac have likely been working from home and bearing Zoom calls aplenty. But I'm also a bit apprehensive about this model, since I'm not sure the upgrade is justified when the benefits are so small.

louis_ramirez

Deals Editor
Herald
Jan 11, 2019
Agree. I'm sure it'll be the fastest/best iMac ever when tested, but the benefits are simply too small for the price of admission (if you already own an iMac).

charlesnyc

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
If you use your iMac for work and your work involves significant use of Zoom, then I would argue that looking and sounding much better on those calls is a very significant benefit on its own. If the M1-driven MB Air and Pro are any indication, this will also be the fastest iMac by a wide margin--probably the largest speed upgrade in iMac history. (And think of the speed when most apps are updated to run native on the M-chip.) Plus it adds Touch ID, WiFi 6, a better audio system, the latest bluetooth and a 24" screen in the same overall dimensions as the former 21.5 inch.) But yeah, what a DISAPPOINTMENT! :ROFLMAO:

Unless you're working near the bleeding edge of video editing with a need for more speed and a bigger screen... or you just have to have the fastest toys out there... the 2021 iMac will handle what nearly anyone else needs it to do. I'm replacing my mid-2017 BTO iMac 27" that I spec'd with the fastest processor, upgraded graphics and SSD -- for less than 2/3 the price of what that cost me, I'll have a significantly faster and better iMac all-around. (Plus, Apple's trade-in deals are pretty generous.)

Last edited:
May 6, 2021
I own an iMac 2011 27". (20GB ram, 256 SSD, not an HD drive at all, hugh Sierra) using it for FCX Pro (mostly 1080, rarely 4K), audio editing, photoshop and (via skype and messenger since 2016) teaching chinese.
I intend to by the new iMac 2021 24" because I can not wait any more for the new iMac 2021 30". I don't think I need 30". The 27" was sufficient for my needs.
Let's see what the 24" can do . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 25, 2021
I agree! I have a 27in 2012 Speced out iMac. Been using almost 10 years now. So wanted the new Silicone Mac to be what I wanted. I know that it will be plenty for me, but I love my big screen. I've been close to pulling th trigger, but I've hesitated because I'm afraid as soon as I buy it the next one will come out. So I'll wait till the end of the year. Sure hope they have it out by then. Missing a lot of the features of the new OS. Catalina is getting old.