News Why I ditched Roku for the Apple TV

Oct 24, 2020
I owned most of them ROKU, Apple TV, FireTV, Shield TV.
Roku I dropped years ago in favor of the FireTV, then dropped the FireTV in favor of the Shield TV.
My Apple TV has been the most idling one of the four. As most Apple product there are too limited and not opened enough. And yes I also own most Apple products. There is almost no Apps on Apple TV. One would assume that you could download mist of the apps available from the apps store, but that is not the case.
And I now have Shield TV is every room! Best choice ever! They are not cheap but they beat all other products outthere.

Forgot to mention that I also had chromecast but never really use it.

dinkhall

Prominent
Dec 1, 2018
I had a Roku a few years back, that is until the Apple TV came out. I loved the Apple TV, but then the Apple TV 4K came out and I went for that. That 4K device lasted about a year. I figured I'd take it to the Apple Store for repair ... NOPE! They want to charge $149 to repair!! Mind you, I still love the device, but I have a Samsung TV and all the streaming services I use come with this Smart TV. All the Apple TV was, was an added layer that I didn't need.
ModelOut-of-warranty fee
Apple TV 4K 32 GB$ 149
Apple TV 4K 64 GB$ 149
Apple TV (4th generation) 32 GB$ 119
Apple TV (4th generation) 64 GB$ 119
Apple TV (3rd generation)$ 49

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
I owned most of them ROKU, Apple TV, FireTV, Shield TV.
Roku I dropped years ago in favor of the FireTV, then dropped the FireTV in favor of the Shield TV.
My Apple TV has been the most idling one of the four. As most Apple product there are too limited and not opened enough. And yes I also own most Apple products. There is almost no Apps on Apple TV. One would assume that you could download mist of the apps available from the apps store, but that is not the case.
And I now have Shield TV is every room! Best choice ever! They are not cheap but they beat all other products outthere.

Forgot to mention that I also had chromecast but never really use it.

I have a computer on every tv and I think that beats the Shield TV :)

Oct 25, 2020
The Apple TV remote is a complete no go lose for me. Haven't seen a viable 3rd party one yet. Tried Harmony and gave up quickly. Not that the Roku remote isn't without annoyances-- no mute or volume control and I wish I could disable the stupid Netflix and other buttons--my dogs bump the remote and change channels all the time. The HBO Max issue is overblown. I use the old HBO app and it still works. I use a tablet and cast to my TV in the rare instance the added Max services have something viable to watch.