Why I Never Use Free Antivirus (?) This is why:

Free Antivirus:
Does not update all day long, automatically. (bad idea) Leaves system vulnerable to attacks.

Multiple Security Programs:
Example...Avast and Malware Bytes combined.
Creates system conflicts. Better to avoid this altogether.

Use a professional all-in-one antivirus. Such as: Norton, Kaspersky, etc...

Computers that were attacked with viruses and malware: all had one thing in common....
Malware Bytes and Avast combined. This "free" software did nothing to protect the computers.
(possibly because of security conflicts) (possibly because of NO updates)

"Free Tools"
Spyware Sweeper...CC Cleaner...Driver Booster...etc...Keep these out of your system, entirely.

FYI: Windows does not need any "free" programs to run correctly. The more you install these "free tools'" the more problems you will have!

And that is the best advice you will ever receive - concerning computer security. When somebody tells you to load a "free" tool into your system...tell them to SHOVE OFF.

PS 80% of all "free stuff" on the internet is malware. That is confirmed by Google Corp.
Stop being so gullible.

Solution

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
There's lots of good free tools out there when used properly. Lots of free stuff is not malware. Have you ever heard of open source software? You clearly have had a bad experience, but that does not make all free stuff bad.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I can't begin to express how 'wrong' this is.

Now....if you're looking for "free" Photoshop or MS Office or game cracks, then yes...malware.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I, too, disagree with this assessment. I use free solutions on all of my home based systems and have zero virus/malware issues. Zero.

Of course, your Internet habits have as much (or more) to do with infections as the tools you use. If you go to questionable sites to access/download dubious content, then you should expect to have problems. This is true regardless of the tools you use.

The tools you choose to use need to be carefully chosen, including consideration of the sources from which they originate. If you fall victim to click-bait and products that promise the impossible, that is user error, not tool error.

Solution
Free MBAM does the trick after the event but you have to pay for the version that stands guard, and it does it well. CCleaner is a good remover of clutter, as is ATF Cleaner. Always back up the Registry before letting anything near it.

For te best defence, use Microsoft's own products. Anyone who thinks they don't find the threats first or that they're going to Phone John McAfee, Norton or the Russians to tell them how to fix it, isn't thinking clearly. They will fix their own product first.

MSE (up to Windows 8.1) and Defender for all versions are all you really need and you already paid for them when you bought Windows.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Most assuredly, Windows does need free programs to run correctly. Ccleaner is certainly one of them.