News Why I switched back to Apple TV after a month with the Fire TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2021
Thanks for your thoughtful reply Longwaldo. You really presented a well reasoned critique of the author's review.
On your advice, I will now ditch my Apple TV and purchase a FireTV. Bravo!

Apr 3, 2021
Why would you purchase and review a 4K streaming device when you don't have a 4K TV? It Seems like you have no clue what you're doing and shouldn't be reporting on products like this if you don't do the proper homework.

Apr 3, 2021
I canceled all the streaming services as they wouldn't move to day 1 release, or moved back to the 1950's Appointment Television.

AppleTv+, HBO, Prime are canceled, I kept Netflix because they won't change to Weekly crap. I don't care what you think am missing or weekly is better; its not.

I'll wait for shows, like the Mandalorian, the Expanse etc are over, then Binge watch them, on
my time. If this turns out to be an unpopular opinion, so be it, I will never be counted as willing participant.

I Pay, streaming services, to watch on my time, not your schedule.

Apr 3, 2021
This site kisses Apple in places I can't mention ....
Apple TV is trash. Overpriced and comical.
The content on Apple TV is sad. Pay for the hardware. The monthly subscription. Then you have to pay for movies.... Most tov shows. The only thing included is the 12 or so Apple tv exclusive tv shows which are mediocre....
This site is a joke

Apr 4, 2021
Hello,
I have both Apple TV and Fire. Sadly for Apple TV, it loses in one feature: BBC shows I watch on BBC iPlayer are streamed on Apple TV without their SDH subtitles. Why? I don’t know, and haven’t been able to find the reason. The subtitles seem to be “on”, but they are not. No such issue with Fire.
If you know how to solve this, please enlighten me.
Thanks in advance.

Apr 4, 2021
Imagine a tech website posting a "review" of an established service and trying to say apps are slow to load etc. If it's true, something's wrong with your setup. If you'd carried out any sort of diligence you'd know this.

There's plenty not to like (as with all devices) but speed is not one of them. Applecentric sham article

Apr 4, 2021
Thanks for your thoughtful reply Longwaldo. You really presented a well reasoned critique of the author's review.
Tbh I think your sarcasm for "Well reasoned critique" would be better aimed at the article itself. Surprised it wasn't posted 1st April

webbaj

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Like others here I view this article as a load of Apple biased tripe. Why you should spend 3.5 times as much on an out of date, overpriced, overhyped streamer when all other 4K devices out perform it is beyond comprehension. I read few reviews/articles on here as it is, I shall now read less if this is to be the standard.

Last edited:

BDComer

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
Like others here I view this article as a load of Apple biased tripe. Why you should spend 3.5 times as much on an out of date, overpriced, overhyped streamer when all other 4K devices out perform it is beyond comprehension. I read few reviews/articles on here as it is, I shall now read less if this is to be the standard.
Why would I? Like the article said, the Apple TV just works better -- I've tried them all. Love the Apple TV UI and feel it's worth the extra money.

As for being pro Apple, well, maybe a tiny bit, I do have a Mac, but I also have Windows, and I prefer Windows. Windows does all I need and the Mac doesn't.

markbo2000

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018
I have used the Fire TV cube for over a year and find that it is snappy and responds well to all button presses. If there is one thing I tell people when suggesting it, is the speed. As far as controlling the volume of the tv from the remote, I have no problems with that either. In fact I bought a sound bar recently and also linked it to that. I’m not sure what apps you are using, but I use many like Prime Movies, Netflix, HBO Max, ATT Watch TV, Plex, Jellyfin and more. All work well. Seems something is off in your system or network, as the Fire Tv Cube just works.

Reactions: Mixer Fixit
Apr 10, 2021
You guys are all missing the boat ! Roku is by far and away the most popular streaming platform available (80% market share!), with good reason. Amazon only does app's it gets royalties from, Apple only does app's it gets royalties from, Google only does app's it gets royalties from.
Roku is an independent platform that strives to do every app out there !
How can you write with "authority" unless you have tried all the available platforms ?!? I have been evaluating AppleTV 4K, Amazon Firecube, Google ChromeCast and several Roku products for nigh on 2 years The Roku platform does the most app's, has the easiest GUI and has the least amount of crashes. (I am in the process of evaluating the new Tivo streamer). Plus, you can walk in to any Walmart to buy a Roku ! I now own 6 Roku devices to power my 15 (!) tv's ranging from 9" to 9'. (I know how to do it.)
You are doing your readers a disservice unless you rview all streaming platforms.

taylor.n8

Honorable
Sep 30, 2017
I pretty much have every streamer except for Google's latest chromecast. My Apple TV is the one that I like the least. I just regret paying $180 for it. Will never do again.

charlesnyc

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
One month without an Apple TV showed me it’s become an essential part of my living room ecosystem.

Why I switched back to Apple TV after a month with the Fire TV : Read more
I could not agree more with your observations. I've had two iterations of the Fire TV Cube. And I have only myself to blame, after the awful experience with the endlessly buggy v1 hardware, for buying v2. But I loved the promise of the Fire Cube, and thought it would surely replace my Apple TV. I had hopes that v2 would address the slowness and bugginess of the v1, but found it was still a buggy work in progress that might never work as intended. v1 went into the electronics trash and v2 I gave away. I returned to my Apple TV 4K which, as you noted, "just works."

Status
Not open for further replies.