Why is HTC Struggling So Much?

qtran414

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hi Everyone. I have been an Tom's Hardware & TGdaily follower for years, but am new to the boards. Something I was thinking about last week was the predicament HTC has gotten itself into the past year and why they are failing despite having what I believe is a superior product range. I organized my thoughts in a recent blog post: http://keysnkeys.com/2012/08/03/htc-quietly-sinking-and-a-strategy-for-recovery/

In a nutshell, I feel HTC can't compete with Apple and Samsung with pure marketing muscle or feature for feature so they need to:

1)Find a particular niche and stick to it
2)Find smaller key Influencers as spokes people/marketing partners that support that niche
3)Be scrappy with marketing and don't be afraid to take direct aim at competitors
4)Revamp the brand and ditch "Quietly Brilliant"
5)Don't go down market

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what you believe HTC's biggest issues actually are and how they can improve their position

HTC has the same issue almost every other phone company has, which is Apple.

Plus many of their phones are for Windows Mobile which is like backing Sega to make a new console with Nintendo and Sony around.

Apple has gotten to the point where they are not just the ones to get if you want good tech, it's a fashion accessory. Having an iPhone and iPad is the 2010s version or driving a BMW if you were in the 80s.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

LOL! I love that Windows Mobile analogy hang-the-9! :D