Why is my gaming laptop running games slow?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2018
When i just got my laptop it could run Battlefield 1 with max graphics at 60 fps. Now it runs battlefield 1 with lowest graphics at 12 - 42 fps! what the heck! i am pretty mad aswell that my pc runs New vegas at Ultra graphics at 30 or so fps.

device specifications

INTEL(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ 960m
2,60GHz 2,59GHz
8GB Ram (7,85 GB Usable)

64-bit based OP x64 based processor

Solution
Are you sure that's the same model number? Asus usually changes the model number when they upgrade to a new generation of CPU/GPU. Are you sure it isn't this one?
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL752VW/overview/

Because that one matches your specs and does appear to have switchable graphics, meaning you might be running off the iGPU (if things aren't switching properly) which would explain your low performance.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Are you sure you were looking at the column for max temperature? I find a max temp of 36C very unlikely unless your laptop is in a very cold room. I would expect those sort of temperatures at idle, not under load. Maybe post a screenshot.

Also, what was the utilization of the GTX 960M?

Take these measurements while playing BF1, or another game where you're getting much lower performance than expected. You can always just leave hwinfo64 running in the background while you play the game, and then look at the max recorded values after.

Status
Not open for further replies.