Why is my new, upgraded laptop running slower than the old one?

Tom Dyal

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
I went from a y410p to the new y50, which costs more and has a better graphics card, so I could have a bit bigger screen, better performance, and it is a good bit thinner. I made a thread recently on this same problem, which was solved because I was actually using the integrated graphics instead of my graphics card. But now even though I have my graphics card turned on I am still averaging about 45 fps on games while on my old one I would never get below 60 fps and every once in a while my entire computer will just freeze for like 3 seconds. I have virus protection and I just did a scan for malware. Also I have my battery settings on high performance, and I use the GeForce Settings for my games.

The specs of the Y50 are:
4th Gen Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-4710HQ CPU 2.50GHz
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB

The Y410p are:
Everything was the same except the graphics card was an: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 755M 2GB
and its a little smaller and a little thicker.

So should I try to get a refund and buy the older one or is there something i'm overlooking?

Entomber

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
there you go; the higher resolution of your new laptop causes an increased workload for your system disproportionate to the difference between a 755M and 860M.

Neither card would be considered high-end either, and if you want to game you should consider a desktop computer.