Why is my sound so loud?

bwen1

Estimable
May 28, 2015
I use HyperX Cloud II and when I put the volume to 1, it is perfect to listen to. Anything above 5 is deafening. Is there anyway to lower the volume overall so the perfect volume would be around 30-ish? The speakers are normal, the problem is only with the headset. Preferably be a fix without installing external software.

Solution
I think that usb sound card may be the issue for such loud volume. You may be able to try with your boards sound card to see if it is any better(turn it down right away since the headset may be sensitive).

Unfortunately the only ways I can think of to lower the volume would add quite a bit of work(attenuate that amp with a resistor divider and use another amp/buffer to drive the headphones since the resistor divider would not longer have the required current) or could cost audio quality(inline resistors).

bwen1

Estimable
May 28, 2015

Connected like this:

Headset -> Hyper X Cloud II Sound card -> USB -> Computer

nukemaster

Distinguished
I think that usb sound card may be the issue for such loud volume. You may be able to try with your boards sound card to see if it is any better(turn it down right away since the headset may be sensitive).

Unfortunately the only ways I can think of to lower the volume would add quite a bit of work(attenuate that amp with a resistor divider and use another amp/buffer to drive the headphones since the resistor divider would not longer have the required current) or could cost audio quality(inline resistors).

Solution