Question Why microphones do and do not work

Jul 24, 2021
Greetings

I wonder whether someone can help, or suggest where else I might look to find an answer the following.

At the moment, I am using low end equipment (as you will see) - mainly recording myself for a virtual choir - though we hope and expect to be meeting in person next season. In the past 12 months I have tried using different microphones and different interfaces to get the sound into an iMac. Some mics work with some interfaces and not others. In particular:

microphones type A: Sony ECMCS3 Clip Style (also other cheap mics sold as suitable for computers with 3.5mm jack) (e.g at amazon dot com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnidirectional-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B0058MJX4O/ref=sr_1_2?)

microphones type B: a Memorex mic from Guitar Center , supplied with 1/4" jack - but offering possibility of using XLR cable too. I tried another one like this too and it was the same. (Both very similar to this Pyle mic at amazon dot com /Professional-Dynamic-Vocal-Microphone-Unidirectional/dp/B01B1JHEX4/ref=sr_1_6?)

Interface type 1: cheap Logitech USB audio adapter - similar to this one amazon.com /UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=sr_1_6?

Interface 2: Akai EIE digital interface actual one is amazon dot com/Akai-Professional-EIE-Recording-Integrated/dp/B0042Z3ADI

By using appropriate connectors and adapters, I can connect both types of mic into both types of interface. But type A mics do not work with the type 2 better quality interface (Akai) and type B mics do not work with the cheaper, and more portable, type 1 interface.

I could understand if one type of microphone was giving a lower output signal, so it would work with the one interface, but not the other - which was designed for a mic with a higher output signal. But if this is the reason, then , shouldn't the microphone with the higher output signal work with the interface that accepts a lower level signal? (Even if it might easily overload it.)

I hope this basic equipment is not too low to be discussed on this board. And thank you in anticipation of an answer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Audio 1
SenDara Audio 1
TheMuppetMan Audio 1
Runiczeal Audio 3
G Audio 1
A Audio 0
K Audio 1
B Audio 2
venomevox2 Audio 1
kk897 Audio 1
T Audio 1