Question Why microphones do and do not work

Jul 24, 2021
Greetings

I wonder whether someone can help, or suggest where else I might look to find an answer the following.

At the moment, I am using low end equipment (as you will see) - mainly recording myself for a virtual choir - though we hope and expect to be meeting in person next season. In the past 12 months I have tried using different microphones and different interfaces to get the sound into an iMac. Some mics work with some interfaces and not others. In particular:

microphones type A: Sony ECMCS3 Clip Style (also other cheap mics sold as suitable for computers with 3.5mm jack) (e.g at amazon dot com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnidirectional-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B0058MJX4O/ref=sr_1_2?)

microphones type B: a Memorex mic from Guitar Center , supplied with 1/4" jack - but offering possibility of using XLR cable too. I tried another one like this too and it was the same. (Both very similar to this Pyle mic at amazon dot com /Professional-Dynamic-Vocal-Microphone-Unidirectional/dp/B01B1JHEX4/ref=sr_1_6?)

Interface type 1: cheap Logitech USB audio adapter - similar to this one amazon.com /UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=sr_1_6?

Interface 2: Akai EIE digital interface actual one is amazon dot com/Akai-Professional-EIE-Recording-Integrated/dp/B0042Z3ADI

By using appropriate connectors and adapters, I can connect both types of mic into both types of interface. But type A mics do not work with the type 2 better quality interface (Akai) and type B mics do not work with the cheaper, and more portable, type 1 interface.

I could understand if one type of microphone was giving a lower output signal, so it would work with the one interface, but not the other - which was designed for a mic with a higher output signal. But if this is the reason, then , shouldn't the microphone with the higher output signal work with the interface that accepts a lower level signal? (Even if it might easily overload it.)

I hope this basic equipment is not too low to be discussed on this board. And thank you in anticipation of an answer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wadwamille Audio 1
J Audio 2
K Audio 1
SenDara Audio 1
TheMuppetMan Audio 1
Runiczeal Audio 3
G Audio 1
A Audio 0
K Audio 1
B Audio 2
venomevox2 Audio 1