Why Nokia's Patents Won't Save The Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
That's how the system goes, if you want to sell something you'll have to pay royalities to one of the big guys!

There are so many pattents right now that, no startup can ever hope to produce anything without infringing on at least some pattents out of houndreds of thousands out there.

I hope to see the pattent system go down in flames one day!

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
We all know nokia isn't doing good right now, but it's not dead. As long as nokia has a good case against apple why not go for it! Patent trolling or not, Apple wouldn't hesitate to do so if the roles were reversed. Nokia had flaws, but at least it can adjust daylight savings time and it can actually make a call without dropping reception.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is becoming more and more common as companies try to improve their bottom line through litigation rather than through innovation. Nokia would be better off investing its time and money in R&D and creating exciting products.

Regardless, we will see more of these sorts of actions in time.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Android + Nokia = Actual relevant products that consumers in the States will buy.

Otherwise, nobody cares.
Windows 7 Phone isn't good enough.
Android is.

But since you decided that Android won't appear on a Nokia device, you're going down.

Hey, maybe once you go bankrupt your patent trolling will stop!

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
The way I see it, if 2 companies independently research and design similar solutions, fuck whoever has the "patent" on it. Just because you got there first does not negate the work done by the other party.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Android + Nokia = Actual relevant products that consumers in the States will buy.Otherwise, nobody cares.Windows 7 Phone isn't good enough.Android is.But since you decided that Android won't appear on a Nokia device, you're going down.Hey, maybe once you go bankrupt your patent trolling will stop![/citation]

What makes you say WP7 is worse than Android? Sure, its hardware is a little lacking, but the software is very good - different, but very good nonetheless.

WP7 is less fragmented, tends to have fewer but better apps and has a very fresh and inspired UI. Okay, it isn't the fastest OS for rendering websites and its outdated Snapdragon doesn't help either, but both can and will be fixed over time.

And the lackluster phones? Nokia's here to help with that. American customers never realised it, but Nokia handsets are amongst the best built and designed on the market. And now, they have software that's worth getting (not saying that Symbian is bad, in fact it was way ahead of its time. Too bad it lagged in marketing and pace of development).

juuh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
"But despite its research and manufacturing power, Nokia never produced a single competitive device"

I got one right here, Nokia N900, quite superior in every way to any iphone espeacially the newest one which you can't talk to without adding some rubber shielding around it.

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
WP7 is a very nice platform. Having launched just 5 months ago, there are more than 10,000 apps, the user interface is extremely slick and streamlined, and the live tiles are a real innovation. I have an HTC HD7, and love it. It has a few flaws that I'm willing to live with, but its social network integration is wonderful and the OS is easy and intuitive to use. When the promised updates are rolled out, I think the fit and polish will ensure it as a great contender. Microsoft was wise to leverage their developer base and I think this will be the key to pressing WP7 forward. Having Nokia in their back pocket is also a very savvy move. Android is too slow and fragmented, which will eventually slow the pace of their current rate of innovation... it's a hard platform to develop for and the marketplace is a mess. I was pleasantly surprised when I replaced my Droid phone. The apps in particular are of a much higher caliber and the usability/experience is top notch.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I don't get the patenting system. I understand that it is made to give respect to the original creator, but when someone comes up with a better AND cheaper variation, they will get the customers.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Who has time to read that rant of yours? I get it, you hate Nokia. It's not American company and Apple is. I connected the dots. Dam I'm good.

G

"This is becoming more and more common as companies try to improve their bottom line through litigation rather than through innovation. Nokia would be better off investing its time and money in R&D and creating exciting products." - COLGeek

They did, and still do. You can thank them for the thriving mobile industry, and Steve's iPhone inspiration (a Sony that ran Symbian). But if your competitor rips off your patents, makes a fat wad, then splits it with the rest of their thieving investors instead of spreading the wealth, what are you supposed to do then, do some more research for them?

Just look at the employee numbers.
Apple: 49,400
Nokia: 132,400

Nokia does nearly as much research as Microsoft or GE... they're not just a bunch of thieving aesthetic repackaging beatniks. But yes go and defend your pretty pretty rotten to the core and tell Nokia to do some more research.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
This article is soo full of BS, it's unbeliavable.
Google does NOT sell all android phones, you mactard.
61 billion $ invested into R&D is insane amount.
Nokia has a number of higly competitive devices, N900 in high end, C6 in low end (that sells for about 200 Euroes).

The fact that something doesn't sell in US doesn't make it bad. Sony Readers is another example.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
[citation][nom]YourAverageGeek[/nom]"This is becoming more and more common as companies try to improve their bottom line through litigation rather than through innovation. Nokia would be better off investing its time and money in R&D and creating exciting products." - COLGeek They did, and still do. You can thank them for the thriving mobile industry, and Steve's iPhone inspiration (a Sony that ran Symbian). But if your competitor rips off your patents, makes a fat wad, then splits it with the rest of their thieving investors instead of spreading the wealth, what are you supposed to do then, do some more research for them? Just look at the employee numbers.Apple: 49,400Nokia: 132,400Nokia does nearly as much research as Microsoft or GE... they're not just a bunch of thieving aesthetic repackaging beatniks. But yes go and defend your pretty pretty rotten to the core and tell Nokia to do some more research.[/citation]
My point was not to defend Apple or to dissuade Nokia from pursing legal recourse, rather given how these sorts of things drag on forever and cost so much, the time and money could be put to better, more productive, uses.

I actually like Nokia products and have even worked with them indirectly via the Finnish MoD several years ago. These guys are very good at what they do.

Tech/patent litigation just leaves a lot to be desired in its actual usefulness and pay-off and can be VERY difficult (read expensive) to prove wrong doing or harm.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]Who has time to read that rant of yours? I get it, you hate Nokia. It's not American company and Apple is. I connected the dots. Dam I'm good.[/citation]

thats the same feeling i got from the article....nokia doesnt have a habit of suing, they are much worse companies like apple, rambus etc.....so why all this focus on nokia? maybe its the same reason why apple is featured in so many of toms reviews (lately you've been making an effort by having some android artilces as well)

nukemaster

Distinguished
"Like everyone else, Creative is following markets that are being created Apple"

Anyone else see this as missing a word?

You do know Creative beat apple to the mp3 player market right?

Status
Not open for further replies.