Why Silent Updates Work: Chrome 16 Passes IE9 in 2 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

:shakes his head.. in a way this is good news but hopefully for enterprise customers there will be a way to ensure that IE doesn't do a silent update and possibly mess up web applications that are designed around a certain release. While I do love Chrome and use it personally, business applications need to function as intended.

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I am sorry but NO ONE installs stuff on my computer without my consent. I don't care if it is god, you get my consent first or there will be a law suit following. This is yet another thing that can be abused and I want nothing to do with it.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]I am sorry but NO ONE installs stuff on my computer without my consent. I don't care if it is god, you get my consent first or there will be a law suit following. This is yet another thing that can be abused and I want nothing to do with it.[/citation]

well, better start writing your own OS then. Pretty sure this will be in the MS EULA.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
MS always asks unless you tell it to install automatically (in which case you've given it permission)

I had no idea that my Chrome updated itself - I don't like that. Might be a reason for me to drop Chrome, just after I'd moved nearly everything over. . . >8(

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Terrible idea, changing my computer's configuration without my knowledge/consent is not ok. I like Google less and less every day.

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]I am sorry but NO ONE installs stuff on my computer without my consent. I don't care if it is god, you get my consent first or there will be a law suit following. This is yet another thing that can be abused and I want nothing to do with it.[/citation]

Well all web browsers are doing silent updates. There's probably an option if you don't want to update it so look up a solution before complaining.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Once more the Chrome adware screws market share reports with stealthy installs, pretty much without user knowledge. Just ask most Chrome users which version they currently have, and they'll answer "What? How did this Google Chrome thing came to my computer?"

I uninstall whatever application that silent updates (except by my antivirus and Windows itself), if I can't disable such a feature, and that surely includes Chrome and soon IE9.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Has a good point though, if Google Chrome just updates by itself and IE requires a user to make an installation choice, then all those stats about browser uptake are seriously skewed.

How can you say a browser is gaining popularity when there is a chance the majority of users didn't even know about it?

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
silent updates help close Vulnerabilities and i'd like anyone here to tell me that he doesn't install updates as soon as they come out, and i think you can disable them

but i'd love to know why those browsers have that market share, especially chrome, opera is much more superior

[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Once more the Chrome adware screws market share reports with stealthy installs, pretty much without user knowledge. Just ask most Chrome users which version they currently have, and they'll answer "What? How did this Google Chrome thing came to my computer?"I uninstall whatever application that silent updates (except by my antivirus and Windows itself), if I can't disable such a feature, and that surely includes Chrome and soon IE9.[/citation]
well said, most people just find chrome on their computers as adware with acrobat reader or flash

zapata07

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I believe these statistics denote actual browser usage, not browser installed but not used. So, the point, some of you are making about people not knowing that they have Chrome installed, is moot.

G

This is why you read Terms and Conditions. Once you click Agree, then you automatically agree to let it download updates automatically.

"11.1 The Software which you use may automatically download and install updates from time to time from Google. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the Services and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules and completely new versions. You agree to receive such updates (and permit Google to deliver these to you) as part of your use of the Services."

And also,

"4.2 Google is constantly innovating in order to provide the best possible experience for its users. You acknowledge and agree that the form and nature of the Services which Google provides may change from time to time without prior notice to you."

They don't need to tell you that they're updating the browser, you agreed to it. If you don't want it, don't use it. It's not like it's a bad to thing to have your browser updated.

G

Another reason why IE older versions are still being used is that many companies restrict update of key software like IE untill compatability and security tests have been performed. IE is more broadly used by companies than Chrome; so it "appears" that Chrome is doing a better job. Personally, I prefer to determine when anything on my computer is updated. I don't tend to rely on any vendors - Google or Microsoft.

jonahkirk

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
The difference, chrome just works. IE9 broke a bunch of programs causing me to roll it back and leave it uninstalled on a few systems. Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 Ultra would no longer read dvds or update (until eventually being patched). My son's Medtronic Diabetes software no longer functioned due to java-script incompatibility. Don't silently upgrade my IE Microsoft!

G

nhat11 sez: Well all web browsers are doing silent updates.

Uh, no, not on my Linux box they don't.

seriousazn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
ffs is this why youtube feels half broken?...silently updating, does anybody else have a problem where youtube isn't buffering anymore?

G

"silent updates help close Vulnerabilities and i'd like anyone here to tell me that he doesn't install updates as soon as they come out, and i think you can disable them"

Ill tell you i dont install updates as soon as they come out. I install updates when i have a problem, and only when i have a problem. I disable all auto updaters, and programs that act like a virus and keep installing their auto updater piss me off.

My system is stable, i dont have viruses, i dont have any outstanding issues with any installed software at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.