Why the iPhone is Crippled on Verizon's Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why the iphone is crippled on At&t............... it's At&t. Seriously is this article implying that AT&T is in any way better suited for the iphone? Grossly over priced plans, sub-par service, and sub-par coverage. All for a premium price. Oh wait! You can call and check your email at the same time. That makes it worth it. *rolls eyes*

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
From the sound of it AT&T is not too happy about Verizon getting the iPhone. I have Sprint and I like their service for the most part, but their phone selection sucks so I thought about switching carriers. But, I will never go to AT&T even if they have both voice and data at the same time. I know too many people who complain about their service(AT&T) versus the other 3 carriers. Besides, its the smartest move for Apple. It makes more sense business wise to go the carrier with the largest number of people or hell, all carriers for the matter.

Just my 2 cents.

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Everyone will be different I'm sure, but I've only come across one time where I wanted to use data while on a call on my Droid. I'm sure that other people, particularly those with conference calls would find that a killer feature, but it's never been important to me.

If this is something you need, go with AT&T. If not, I highly suggest Verizon. Either way, it's good for both sides. This move effectively divides the iPhone population and more evenly distributes the network load.

As for me? I'm going with the Droid Bionic. Dual Core FTW!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
For the longest time T-Mobile didn't seem to support simultaneous talk/data. Then one day, i got a call, and I noticed that the download that was in progress did not halt. That was cool. Still, I went a year and a half with my G1 without the ability to do both, and it didn't kill me. Plus, I live in the midwest, you know, that big vacant area on AT&T's 3G map. If I wanted an iPhone, Verizon would be the way to go.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
TBH, that's not a killer feature. My LG Ally handles that pretty well. I was updating a app and I got a call in the middle of it so the phone paused it, went to the call and when I was done switched back and finished it.

I doubt that many people actually use that ability that much on AT&T. Verizon has the largest network and serves the most customers for a reason.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Happy At&t customer here in Houston Tx. Then again, only run a Nokia N95 still and only use internet on wireless hotspots or at home if I need to.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
who needs to call and make an email at the same time... geez people hav ebuisier lives than me if they do.. i never wanna be that buisy

besides as said... you can make a call and email/browse web IF you can get signal peiriod >_< when i went up to the UP of MI i got 4 bars of 3 g off of lake superios while my wife who is on at&t had.. you guessed it... zero bars , her uncle on verizon had 2 bars and voice only on his droid

foxikk

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I can do both at the same time.. talk and surf the web 'cause i have android phone on 4G network... thanks to sprint.
And I don't care about iPhone... on at&t or verizon network :)

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This has only been an issue for me when tethered with my Droid Incredible....and guess what....I survived!

"I lost 30 seconds of internet on my laptop OH NOSSS"

biggest joke of a marketing ploy I have ever seen

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Wait... My phone can't do that? OH GOD! ALL THESE YEARS, LIVING IN HELL!!!

Seriously, how many people even realize it's a limitation? I for one know about it, but have only perhaps once or twice ever wished my phone could talk-and-download at the same time. Certainly not nearly as many times as I have had the distinct privilege of actually having voice/data service in an area where "superior technology" didn't reach.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
....hmmm my Incredible lets me make calls and download at the same time. Looks like this SVDO fix is already implemented in some areas. This author is terribly misinformed.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Well actually, it's not just the iPhone on Verizon's network, it's any smartphone on Verizon's network.
Lies.
My Verizon Android phone does simultaneous voice and data perfectly. I've done it before. I've had someone on speakerphone while operating Google Maps to give them directions. Flawless. This claim being made against Verizon is absolutely false. It is, indeed, only the iPhone that is crippled. But then again, as everybody knows, the iPhone is crippled by definition.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I actually could use that feature. Which is why I can not move carriers just yet until a LTE version comes out. It would not kill me not to have it though but I do use it for business reasons. Sometimes while I am on a call using my headset I have to switch to mail to check a email that the person just sent me that has a attachment like a quote or something. It happens

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Lies.My Verizon Android phone does simultaneous voice and data perfectly. I've done it before. I've had someone on speakerphone while operating Google Maps to give them directions. Flawless. This claim being made against Verizon is absolutely false. It is, indeed, only the iPhone that is crippled. But then again, as everybody knows, the iPhone is crippled by definition.[/citation]

Actually, sadly, no... they are right. Your phone did not have a data connection (unless you were connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot.) What probably happened was Google maps had the map you needed in it's cache and new data wasn't even necessary.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Rofl omg, kids on forums these days. Any sign of negative connotation against verizon, or possibly positive information about apple or AT&T causes you fanboys to rage like monkeys.

Anyways, I believe the problem is negated when your on wifi, which I believe Anamoly was on so he can do voice+data. And the iPhone is an amazing phone, with it's own drawbacks like any other phone. Drawbacks are subjective you jackasses and guess what Ive used data+voice more than I need to multitask. Does this make me a fanboy? No nor at all because my next phone is most likely gonna running Android.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"crippled" is a strong word for such a minor feature. I've been on verizon for over a year and never once needed to do this. Also, when i was on AT&T before with a 3G iphone, having this feature never once provided benefit to me. AT&T's subpar coverage and network performance was the sole decision in changing to verizon and going to a droid phone instead of the phone i prefer. I think the iphone is a better device for how I use it, but dropped calls, failed connections, and these type of problems were not worth the hassle to have an iphone. now i can have both.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Go out and ask whoever u see on the street, just to see if they even know the difference between AT&T's network & Verizon. hell, most of them don't even know wtf is 4g not even 3g. they just gonna tell you "oh, its 4g, 4th generation so it must be better!"

jazn1337

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
All I have to say is: has any droid user been bothered? No? Then I doubt the iPhone will be different. Tw great platforms on one great carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.