Why the Verizon iPhone is a Big Deal For AT&T

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Skype calls on the ATT cellular data network have been allowed since May 2010.

G

Good article.... keep in mind though that it benefits the carrier (aka partner) when phones are released out of the "upgrade cycle". Apple will still receive the same money but Verizon and ATT will benefit from people paying more than what they paid Apple for the device

G

Why bother pretending to analyze a topic when you've already decided the content of your presentation to readers. I quote, "We know that Apple only cares about itself". Perhaps you care more about your opinion than presenting a story based on facts.

G

A more interesting question is: what will happen with Android? A lot of Android uptake in the US seems to have been driven by the fact that it's the best phone available on Verizon - it's been adopted by folks unwilling to put up with AT&T. But with iPhone supported by a better carrier, will they switch?

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]tcobserver[/nom]A more interesting question is: what will happen with Android? A lot of Android uptake in the US seems to have been driven by the fact that it's the best phone available on Verizon - it's been adopted by folks unwilling to put up with AT&T. But with iPhone supported by a better carrier, will they switch?[/citation]

They'll switch, break/scratch their shiny new iPhone then go back to a more durable driod.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Very intesting article, although I get the feeling it is indeed a tad biased to your opinion. Then again, I get the feeling that most people here have something against unfair companies like AT&T and Apple, so the subtle in article bashing is ok. I liked it TBH.

Good for consumers, loads more competition. Eagerly waiting for AT&T to get f*****d over, although I dislike the idea that this will help apple. For consumers though, this can only be a good thing.

Im unnaffected however, live on the other side of the planet, where companies don't f**k you over like AT&T does. Got 4GB data with NO SPEED CAP, and with a impressive network infrastructure here, I pull through a good 800KB/s. Costs me $25 for the data alone. Oh, and legally allowed to tether with anything I want, and use the connection for anything a want. :D

To conclude, DIE AT&T

G

What guarantees do VZW customers have that the next-gen iPhone 5 will be available for CDMA at launch? Is it not possible that AT&T continues to retain a short exclusivity of at least 6 months on new iPhone models until sometime in 2012/2013 when Apple returns to a single-model iPhone that functions on both network types? For as long as I can remember, Apple has tried not to create the kind of consumer confusion that comes with having too many model lines. Having separate CDMA and GSM versions of a phone certainly falls into that category. And if SVDO is not implemented with the VZW version, that will surely be a knock against both parties since it will create a class of users that can and cannot receive concurrent data while on voice. At this point, the VZW iPhone is shaping up to be a truly boring and inconsequential launch as we've already seen the hardware and software, and already know about the limitations of the VZW network. I'm sure some users will switch, but I'm sure plenty more will stay where they are. Hey AT&T has just as many users as VZW and they haven't jumped ship en masse yet either.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Robert Ford[/nom]Why bother pretending to analyze a topic when you've already decided the content of your presentation to readers. I quote, "We know that Apple only cares about itself". Perhaps you care more about your opinion than presenting a story based on facts.[/citation]

Agree. Apple has its own release cycles, yes, but since it is Apple's product they have every right to release their products when they want to.

Besides, Apple is a business and businesses will do whatever they can to make the most money. Verizon would probably be just fine if they kept on with Android phones, but it seems they are trying really hard to get the iPhone. If they do get the iPhone, it will most likely hurt Android sales. But Verizon doesn't care because it'll make them money. If we used the same logic you used for Apple, we could say that "We know that Verizon only cares about itself, and not its Android partners."

But I agree with waiting for the iPhone 5, especially since there is a chance that it'll have 4G capabilities. Apple tends to release its iOS products around June, and while it isn't a for-sure that it is the iPhone 5, I would be surprised if it isn't a new iPhone. Although I wouldn't be shocked if it was the iPad 2.

bb33

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Verizon does not need the iPhone they want it simply to be able to say we have all the phones you could possible want so there is no reason to even consider another carrier good practice if you ask me. at&t is gonna loose in this deal and possibly be forced to change is pricing to stay in the game. Though I would argue that it is time to reevaluate at&t's network it was crap at in the past yes but with 6b dumped into updating it in 2010 and that is still continuing things have improved greatly. I would also argue that the iphone with its poor antenna design did not help att at all my moto milestone xt701 on att is faster that droids on verizion and the iphone 3gs/4 as the latter will drop to edge while mine is still on 3.5g and i have never had a droped call can not say the same for iphones lol. and i live in lower alabama (only here for the job) with no real city within 100 miles and that says alot to me if att has this area on 3.5g and this should be one of the last places to get upgraded in all honesty.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation]AT&T's network is perceived to be about as crappy is it can get[/citation]
Wolfgang: You meant to say, "it is popular and common to make anecdotally based claims that the AT&T network is 'crappy'..." or "it is common to claim that [my current carrier]'s network is unreliable based on limited, singular experience..."

I understand the (bitching) general public making these claims, but the author of a published article?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
ATT will not have to invest any into their network. just by having a bunch of iPhone customers switching to Verizon because their toy will be available there, ATT network will get some relief, thereby making it seem that the network has improved.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
As far as Android customers, really, I don't think they will be willing to give up their freedom of choice and powerful customization for the limits and restraints of iPhone. The migration from one platform to another will be very limited, and I think after a trial period a lot of these customers will switch back to Android. I have used both and I could never go back to iphone again.
The number of customers that will switch networks will be greater than the number of customers that will switch platforms.

G

I just left the iphone for the new windows phone 7 with Zune. I was a liitle weary, but it is actually much better! The big gorgeous oled screened samsung focus is the model to choose.

arges86

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
i just assumed that Android on Version made a CDMA iPhone unnecessary.

Once you have the freedom of Android, why go the walled off iPhone? Looks?

G

The fact that Apple only cares about itself has been continually proved and demonstrated for 30 + years.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Wow, this article is so full of grammar and spelling errors that I barely made it all the way through.

It is also full of biased opinions and unsubstantiated claims.

I expect better from the editors at Tom's.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I don't see why this is a big deal...
What can the iPhone do that a good android based phone cant do?

I liked the idea of an iPhone years ago when it first came out cause it could play MP3s and had a large touch screen but now phones like that are a dime a dozen. Soooo, I don't see any good reason to have an iPhone... or even care that it's coming to Verizon.

If you ask me, one of the best phones currently on the market is the EVO (sprint).

Also...
Because I've stuck with my carrier, my monthly bills just go down and down (because they decrease my bill each time my contract is up to keep me). Now my bill is so low that no other carrier can offer me a lower price. I don't switch carriers for a phone. I switch based on monthly price. Don't get me wrong I've got a nice BlackBerry but I'm not jumping ship until these other idoit companies can offer a competative price not some new fancy phone. As long as I can make calls, text and play MP3s, my phone is serving its primary purposes. If you are switching carriers because of a certain phone and not for any other reason, then you are a complete tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.