Why won't apps download on my microSD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2014
So, I have this android phone and it doesn't have enough storage for my apps. I decided to buy a 16GB microSD to replace my old 4GB microSD. I copied everything from the 4GB microSD to the 16GB microSD card. I went to the application manager in settings and it still said the same thing for the storage available for my apps. How do I get the apps to download my microSD? I just spent a lot of money for this on eBay and it did absolutely NOTHING.

Solution

there are 2 ways to mount apps to sd, both require root permission
option 1
mount the data and obb folder of certain big games to sd card using this software (advantage less setup required, but only links app data and obb file)...

Bernwoodshanover

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

Rockchip RK3066

Is this what you needed? As for backup/recovery, I've downloaded the RK 2.1 and the RK 1.37 tools for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean from Rockchip to do a complete backup before I do much else. As I stated, it's been a while, so I'm trying to be careful (famous last words). I've researched CWM and TWRP, but I came across Rockchip's tools and found it backed up EVERYthing including stuff CWM can't backup, so I'm planning to create my own stock ROM with these tools per a tutorial I came across. I also have access to a few ROMs per the CWM and/or TWRP research, so I should be all set there.

I hate to sound like the newbie that I am (apparently), but I tried to 'copy' that file for you -- I don't know how to paste it here. If this was Windows I'd have no problems, but this little Android tablet is making me look stupid. I opened it as a text file using ES's Note Editor and I can see the contents there, but I haven't a clue how to move it from there to here. I'll need to look up ES's manual to learn how to maneuver within ES.

If there's an easy way to post this file (I'm probably missing something really simple) please let me know and I'll get it for you.....

Bern

Bernwoodshanover

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_otg/usb1 /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb
## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
# dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
Duh! I knew it'd be something simple!! (SO embarrassed....)

Thank you, shahbaz200....

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Yeah just a trick does a magic. Changing mount points.
So you successfully swapped?

Bernwoodshanover

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
shahbaz200:
Yeah just a trick does a magic. Changing mount points.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I couldn't signin for the longest time. I sent out a couple of emails and either someone fixed it for me or it just works again.

Since then, I've backed up, unrooted and I'm about to backup the copy I was trying to create in the first place -- one with things set the way I like 'em. It took me several days to work past a bug just to create the 1st backup, but found help and got it done. Now that these can be accomplished, I can resume where I left off here. With a new device I like to set 'em up, back 'em up and store a copy somewhere safe before I break 'em up! LOL

I'll let you know if I run into anything else I don't understand. Thanks again....

Bern ;)

Bernwoodshanover

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Changing mount points.
So now I'm confused again.

# dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
# dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1
Based on example, all I need to do is change....

sdcard1 auto
sdcard2 auto

....to this:

sdcard2 auto
sdcard1 auto

....yes? Or am I in the wrong ballpark all together?

BTW, since posting this 'vold' file for you, I've rooted and unrooted, created a couple of backups, partitioned a class 10 32GB external SD card that's supposed to load at speed of 48mps (I was told to get a decent one) and finally, did one more factory reset to get rid of all the 'stuff' I used in between.

I realize I'll need to root my tablet once more (meaning a root app, SuperSU and BusyBox again, too, yeah?), but if I post a fresh copy of the "/system/etc/vold.fstab" file, could you show me exactly where to change my 16GB internal (Nand Flash) SD card with my newly partitioned 32GB external SD card? I see where people have flashed with changes already there for them, but as I've never 'flashed' before, I am more comfortable changing files myself as long as I know I'm changing the correct ones! ;)

Assuming I do this (and do it correctly, LOL), will I then be allowed to unroot and apps will load to the external SD by default, right? I won't need Link2SD since using external by default is basically what I'm trying to accomplish, yeah? I also understand that if I rooted and used Link2SD instead, the app would move everything connected to an app I'd move manually (or set to do so in Settings) to external SD's FAT32 partition as well as the ext4 partition. I'm just stating everything obvious or otherwise I can think of so you know exactly what I think I know. ;)

Thanks, in advance. I know that's all more than a mouthful....

Bern

Bernwoodshanover

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Apologies for lateness....

Yes, I've already partitioned 32GB external SD card:
  • 1st Partition: FAT32, Healthy, Primary (approx. 25GB)
    2nd Partition: ext4, Healthy, Primary (approx. 4.25GB)
I am SOOOO glad I won't be needing Link2SD -- no offense to developer, I just prefer NOT to remain rooted.

After I swap files from internal to external, I will be able to unroot, yeah? That's kind of important to me. Don't want anyone messin' around by accident (by "anyone", includes me ;)).

My device is a Visual Land Prestige Pro 7D; Rockchip RK3066. I have a Factory Reset backup as well as one with some added apps/stuff I like on it. I'm OK for backups.

While I may no longer need the ext4 partition, once I square away THIS task, the only other thing I'll be working on is extending RAM. I'm torn between using "ROEHSOFT RAM Expander" or creating my own proper swap partition -- haven't decided. Since I don't need the ext4 partition I created for Link2SD, couldn't I make use of the 4.25GB ext4 partition, delete it and create a swap file in it's place? Otherwise, I might as well extend the FAT32 partition to include the entire external SD card, right? But I digress....

First thing's first -- "swapping" internal and external SD's. Here's the current vold file:
## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_otg/usb1/devices/platform/usb20_host/usb
# dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
Thanks for looking this over for me. My Linux experience (or rather my lack thereof) is really messin' with me. I didn't think a few years between what I used to do and what I'm doing now was that big a deal, but apparently, I still have MUCH to learn....

Bern

Update -- FYI: Kernel Info....
Linux version 3.0.8+ (builder@server) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 11 11:14:46 CST 2013
Except for the creation date, I don't have a clue how to find out if my device's kernel even supports a proper swap partition! For what it's worth, thought I'd include this info as well....

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Yeah I think so you should be able to unroot. Anyways, first things first :p

Replace words as I did according to following shown in bold red letters:

#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount flash /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_otg/usb1/devices/platform/usb20_host/usb
# dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

Give it a try.

Bernwoodshanover

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
I copied vold file to USB device, opened it as a text doc, switched "sdcard" with "external_sd" and vice versa and saved. Then, went back to "/system/etc/" and tried to move my 'newly switched' vold file to that directory and when told "file already existed", of course I told it to replace file with mine, but I got this message instead:
Task Failed
/system/etc/vold.fstab : open failed : EACCES (Permission denied)
So what do I do to get around permissions? After all, I am the admin of my device (in other words, no other accounts on this tablet except mine). Do I need to tell it somewhere that I need admin rights? In Windows I'd have no problem. I often run stuff as admin even though my account IS the admin account anyway, but I don't know what the android version of this might be or what my device is expecting of me in this regard.
I'm going to try to research more on this, but Visual Land doesn't say much in manual, nor does their website offer much beyond tech specs and the like, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere for info I need. If you know what it needs (like something in 'settings' or whatever), let me know and I'll give it another shot, OK? Thanks....

Bern

Bernwoodshanover

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Thank you for that -- would have gone CRAZY looking around for the right info. Anyway....

First attempt failed. I get the Visual Land splash screen and then Jelly Bean's splash as well, but it stalls, remaining on the Jelly Bean splash screen.

I tried to boot into recovery mode, but so far, no such luck there either. Thank God for backups, yeah? I'm assuming I didn't brick my device, but then again, I'm not sure what a 'bricked' device would look or act like -- whether it gets splash screens even -- so jury's still out on that!

I have a ROM Flash Tool that my device uses, but I need to get my device recognized by the Flash Tool in order to use that tool, so I guess that's what I'll be working on now. I never 'flashed' ANYthing before, so we'll see how this goes. In the interim, any advice, tricks or tips you may have would be appreciated. I should have known better when I told my better half "it seemed so easy" when I guess I should have thought "it seemed too easy....

Bern :sarcastic:

Bernwoodshanover

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Well, tried flashing and got this for my trouble:

INFO: Start to run
INFO: Start to test device
INFO: Test device OK
INFO: Start to download file
ERROR: Download file failed
ERROR: Run failed
I tried flashing with these files:
  • parameter.txt
    misc.img
    kernel.img
    boot.img
    recovery.img
    cache.img
    kpanic.img
    system.img
    backup.img
    userdata.img
I may have to try going into recovery mode and choosing "update rkimage from external storage" except I'm not sure how to implement these but one at a time, I guess. The Flash Tool would have made my life a little easier....

Bern

Smythius

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014

shahbaz200 or Alvendam,
I have a Galaxy S5 running KitKat 4.4.2 and the phone is rooted. I am new to the Android OS and need some help with permissions and getting my files to actually work from the SD card. I have a 128GB external SD card but once I move an app or movie from the internal storage to the SD card the phone says the file is no longer supported or the app just wont play.

On a side note, do you know where I can find a custom ROM to flash so that the OS underlines misspelled words w/ the red squiggly line?

shohan746426

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014

Bro it just transfer to internel memory not external memory....

Smythius

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014

I get a mount script error. My second partition wont mount so I can't link any apps bro

cputrgoddess

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

hey, can u show me what to mod in the file? I have multiple devices as I am really really into computers/smartphones. I havd used aparted and repartition my microsd one with fat and second as ext2. I use link2sd. but if you know how to change that file to get rid of emulated storage completely and replace it with the mounted microsd, please help. this is jelly bean. kyocera hydro edge c5215 OS is currently 4.1.2 and it is rooted. firmware JZ054K.

obviously thats not my main phone. but I am having issues with that one only.

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

DAMN!! So SORRY I was busy in studies and exams ahead too. I was infected by chicken pox too. Didn't received any notification by TH too. Btw looks like it is messed up. As you edited your system, you need to restore your "system.img" only. Do you need help?

About that flash tool. Can you show it to me? Thats why I recommended you an CWM or TWRP backup..........

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Where it says "mount sdcard" and "mount sdcard2" you actually have to interchange values.

Status
Not open for further replies.