Why would I have a slow down in Gateway NV53 after replacing hard drive with Toshiba 250gig SSD

Axlegrease

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
Performance degraded when processing larger files after SSD swap for HD.

Why would I have a slow down in Gateway NV53 after replacing hard drive with Toshiba 250gig SSD? My cpu is being occupied up to 100% and RAM is fully booked when I use the laptop with my Epson scanner (after about 10-15 bw pages of text)

First off, your CPU and RAM is maxed out, then an SSD is not helping much because the rest of the PC is bottlenecking you.

Secondly of all, if your laptop has XP or Vista on it then it does not support TRIM and thus your drive will not be that fast

Also, if your older laptop is SATA 1 spec then you will see almost zero gain.

Cyber-Freak

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
NV53 uses an SB710 South Bridge Chipset that supports SATA 2.0 spec (3Gb). The default OS should be Windows 7.

The BIOS setting uses either IDE or AHCI mode; as long as AHCI was enabled and Windows was installed with AHCI support your speeds should be much faster and boot should take a few seconds to boot into windows.

If you used IDE, or installed anything but Windows 7/8/8.1/10, you've effectively cut the legs off your PC at the knees.