shovenose

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
i have a hp pavilion dv4-1145go laptop
core 2 duo t5800 2ghz
4gb ram
160gb hd
dvdrw

anyway, i had a hard drive failure a while back, and i reinstalled the computers os and stuff from the hp install disc that they sent me, and that took like 4hours of watching loading bars crawl across the screen...
ever since, it takes about three minutes to go into sleep mode. why?

Solution
Sorry to take so long to get back to you on it, but this honestly has me stumped...

Now, you say it takes abnormally long to get Windows to shut down or go to sleep, but you've removed as much of the bloatware that you could find. Have you noticed slow load times for programs, or even pauses or hiccups while running anything? If so, it could be a hardware-based issue.
Either way
I'd try running a gamut of hardware diagnostics on the laptop. There are a variety tools available at no cost. All you need in most cases is some blank CDs and a program to burn ISOs (I recommend DeepBurner)

For the Hard Drive, do a Google search for "(manufacturer's name) diagnostic tool" and it should give you a link for the drive maker's support site...

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Assuming you got it with Windows 7
If it's taking longer than 15-30 seconds to go to sleep, then yes there's a problem. It may not necessarily be bloatware, though. Try this:

Go to the start menu, run MSCONFIG (if you are running Win 7, just go to start, type "msconfig" (no quotes) and hit enter)
Under the "General" tab, select "Selective Startup" and uncheck "Load Startup Items" box.
Hit apply and ok. Reboot your computer.

Once back into Windows, try putting it to sleep again. If it still hangs, then it's not a bloatware problem.

Otherwise, if it goes to sleep and wakes up at an acceptable pace, bring up MSCONFIG again. Go to the "Startup" Tab. Reenable programs one at a time to narrow down what the cause is. Apply/OK/Reboot after checking one of the boxes. Try sleep again.

Repeat this process until enabling a particular program causes a hangup while going to sleep.

Also, what antivirus software do you have installed? Assuming that since you ran the HP install disc, it's going to be a trial version of Norton or McAfee. Remove them (tools available online, search (program name) removal tool) and install AVG (go to www.download.com for the free version)

Let me know how it goes for ya.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The startup tab won't list everything that starts up when your machine does - consider doing the same sort of procedure with the services tab (you can leave microsoft services enabled). Generally, though, everything besides your graphics driver, audio driver, and antivirus on the startup tab is bloatware. There aren't really any other driver applications your notebook should be loading on startup, except perhaps if it's got a biometric reader or something of the sort. HP will probably have them all enabled, though, if any additional ones are present.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

The startup tab can disable most (if not, all) of the factory-installed bloatware. The services tab, for the most part, can be left alone when troubleshooting slow startup/shutdown problems. The startup tab will give you access to most of everything that's going to slow you down (main exception will be antivirus software). As mentioned before, if you have Norton or McAfee, get rid of them and download AVG, or Panda. Hell, Microsoft Security Essentials would be a better alternative (all three have free versions available).
I'd check the Services tab after eliminating Startup programs (and Norton/McAfee) as the cause of your problem. Honestly, in my 5 years in the computer repair biz, the only time I've even touched the services tab is to reenable a service the someone disabled thinking they'd get a speed increase. Messing with the Service tab (or for that matter, services.msc) can do more harm than good, especially if you're not sure what to look for.
From what frozenlead mentioned about drivers, they shouldn't/wouldn't be an issue if all you changed was the hard drive. Unless you removed, damaged, or unintentionally uninstalled a component or it's driver(s), running the factory disc should've brought it back to how it was when you took it out of the box (otherwise, it means HP is trying to bring back "Code Purple")

May also want to consider programs like CCleaner. It can be used not only free up some space on your drive, but give you a complete listing of programs installed on you computer, with the option to uninstall them (instead of waiting for the "Programs & Features" list to populate from Control Panel). It will also bring up a list of (almost) every program running on startup. There's a registry cleaner in there, and unlike most registry cleaners, this one is simple and in my (at least) 3 years of using it, hasn't caused any issues. In fact, CCleaner has fixed quite a few issues on quite a few of my clients' computers.

Before anyone says anything, no, I don't work for Geek Squad or some type of corporate gig like that. I fix Geek Squad's "optimizations".

shovenose

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
with only basic windows stuff, 1 min 5 sec
with some extra stuff like itunes, quicktime, netzero dialup (i dont ever use it i use the neghbors wifi) and more, disabled, 1 min 40 sec

before all this, i was getting 2 mins 45 sec

shovenose

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
also , i have tried smart defrag (by iobit) and systemcare free (also iobit.com) and for antivurs i run security 360 (iobit once again). i have these 3 programs, but ihavent run them in a while. i actually unustalled ccleaner ten minutes ago, when i was trying to fix the problem myself , but i still got the 2:45 sleep time...

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
hmm... progress. this is good. Go through the programs that you have on your computer and uninstall whatever you know you won't use.
Go to the Start menu, Control Panel
find and open "Programs and Features"
Wait for the list to finish populating, then go through and do some cleaning up. Any time a program prompts you to restart your computer after uninstallation, do so and repeat this process.
Once you gotten rid of the undesired programs, go back into MSCONFIG and start from the beginning (normal startup) to check for progress. If it's still slow on the sleep or shutdown, let us know. If clearing out the clutter gets things running to your liking, also let us know.
We're on the right track so far. Keep it up, you'll be running smooth soon enough

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Sorry to take so long to get back to you on it, but this honestly has me stumped...

Now, you say it takes abnormally long to get Windows to shut down or go to sleep, but you've removed as much of the bloatware that you could find. Have you noticed slow load times for programs, or even pauses or hiccups while running anything? If so, it could be a hardware-based issue.
Either way
I'd try running a gamut of hardware diagnostics on the laptop. There are a variety tools available at no cost. All you need in most cases is some blank CDs and a program to burn ISOs (I recommend DeepBurner)

For the Hard Drive, do a Google search for "(manufacturer's name) diagnostic tool" and it should give you a link for the drive maker's support site. BACK UP YOUR DATAS FIRST!
Test your RAM while your at it. Search for MemTest. Again, free ISO.

If both come back clean (no errors that couldn't be fixed), then the only thing left I can think of is backup anything important, then reinstall Windows. This time, when the option presents itself, give the drive a FULL format (not quick). You may have to use the (manufacturer's name) Hard Drive Diagnostic tool for this, it should have it as an option.

Keep me posted.

Solution

shovenose

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
the builtin bios hd test and memory test were tried, all was ok....then i deep otimized using smart defrag, no luck...
im not kidding:
I dropped the laptop accidentaly (tripped over cord) while it was on. the hp protectsmart kicked in and stopped the hard drive by the time it hit the tile floor...but it gave me a blue screen. i restarted, and all worked like usual, so i guess it still works, BUT WHEN I SLEEPED IT, IT ONLY TOOK LIKE 2 SECONDS!!!

no clue why, but i guess the name of the post IS "why?"