Wi-Fi Detectors Put To The Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
Yeah, I'm with Droseph on this. Surely there are more than 2 of these devices on the market.

And I owned the Kensington detector. It was a useless piece of junk.

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
Yeah, I'm with Droseph on this. Surely there are more than 2 of these devices on the market.

And I owned the Kensington detector. It was a useless piece of junk.

G

There's really little point in Carrying one of these devices nowadays anyway. Many Nokia N & E series mobile phones have WiFi built in and come with an app on the main screen that constantly scans for access points, lists their names & allows you to dive in to find out what encryption & signal strength is available. Even older Nokia (WiFi enabled) mobiles that didn't have this as a main screen app allowed you to do the same by loading the "connection manager" app. Far more convenient than carrying an extra device.

Sandbags

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
...or you could just open Safari or Mail on your iPhone and it will tell you for certain not only what Wi-Fi is available, but which are locked for security which the other devices won't do. Keychain devices have a bad habbit of picking up WiFi that has no SSID broadcast so even if it claims there's a clear signal, dragging out the notebook usually results in finding out you can't log on anyway.

Most people with a notebook and a need to use WiFi in multiple places typically have PDAs or smartphones anyway, so who do these keychain devices really target anyway? They're just an accessory for retailers to push on people buying a new laptop, or on a kid starting college...

Sandbags

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
...or you could just open Safari or Mail on your iPhone and it will tell you for certain not only what Wi-Fi is available, but which are locked for security which the other devices won't do. Keychain devices have a bad habbit of picking up WiFi that has no SSID broadcast so even if it claims there's a clear signal, dragging out the notebook usually results in finding out you can't log on anyway.

Most people with a notebook and a need to use WiFi in multiple places typically have PDAs or smartphones anyway, so who do these keychain devices really target anyway? They're just an accessory for retailers to push on people buying a new laptop, or on a kid starting college...

wwilco

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
If you have set your router to not broadcast it's SSID, will they show up on either of these units?

wwilco

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
If you have set your router to not broadcast it's SSID, will they show up on either of these units?

m-p-3

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS