Wi-Fi Key-Cracking Kits Now On Sale in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
LOL, sure they are needed to get free internet access.

Crap, sometimes it's harder to configure devices not to use the "I am broadcasting my network everywhere, hack me please" configurations seen in your local neighbor hood then it is to use specific ones.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]This is messed up.[/citation]

The only thing that's messed up is the article.

[citation][nom]King Kong Kevin Parish[/nom]According to Computerworld, the kits are pitched by shady salesmen as a means of surfing the Internet for free... and on the cheap. Apparently the kits cost next no nothing--a mere $24 USD, [/citation]

Seriously don't you guys have a copy editor or someone who checks everything BEFORE it goes live?

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]This is the electronic equivalent of bottled water. You can get cracking software anywhere.[/citation]
More liek weed. It's illegal but still everyone uses it.

Run over some protesters with tanks, deny basic rights to people, hack other countries' servers, have 1/4 of the economy based on counterfeit goods, steal WiFi.

Hey, China is the ultimate Pirate! I'm sending them an eye patch.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
The kits are probably put together, on the cheap, with the left over melamine from the milk, lead from toys, and engine coolant from toothpaste foreigners aren't buying anymore from China...

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Lets go wired... Simple solution. Set your router Filter MAC address -> allow only this/these MAC addresses your hardwares currently have. Even if they hack your WEP they still can't access your router.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]pogsnet[/nom]Lets go wired... Simple solution. Set your router Filter MAC address -> allow only this/these MAC addresses your hardwares currently have. Even if they hack your WEP they still can't access your router.[/citation]

Wrong, then they will just spoof your mac address too. It's another layer of security, and a good one, but certainly not foolproof.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
so they are selling you a free open source Linux distro....

A fool and his money are soon parted. Oh and BTW it doesn't work on WPA2 with AES or Enterprise setups, that requires a more "forceful" approach.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
dont you have to be able to ping or to have some kind of network connection to see mac addresses? how can you get a mac to something that does not respond to any other mac ping?

sheath

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Backtrack is nothing new, we use it in my IT security class all the time. Its great for securing your own network but it can just as easily give you access to others. There is no reason to buy these kits, the software is free...
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/

G

The time to crack greatly depends on if the network you are trying to crack has a wireless device connected to the network at that time. The exploit relies on obtaining vulnerable packets, which you can generate by causing the device to disassociate/associate with the access point multiple times. If I remember correctly Toms Hardware had an article illustrating this a while back.
Like someone said, who would pay for this, it's like paying for bottled water when there is a free, higher quality water source nearby.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Remember when Tom's posted an article on how to crack WEP keys with the use of a linux machine and 1 or 2 additional laptops?

These "cracking" kits are probably a more "compressed" version of that article by coincidence. Hence "war driving" has been around for a long time.

WEP is already proven to be a security vulnerability. But I'm curious as to the validity of these "cracking kits" and their ability to crack WPA/WPA2.

I know it's 2010 but does the AES encryption standard have a cipher strength that is rated to uncrackable currently. I remember reading a few years ago while studying for my security+ certification that AES is rated to have a cipher strength so high that even a supercomputer would take more than 10 years(possibly more I can't remember) to decrypt the cryptography mechanisms of AES.

I remember my former co-worker telling me of an internet article of an individual claiming to have (what the media appeared to have misinterpreted as) cracked WPA/WPA2. According to my co-worker the individual in question claimed that he did not crack or decrypt the cryptography mechanism but merely used an "exploit"( this person obviously would not disclose his methods)to obtain access to a secure wifi network under wpa/wpa2.

I wonder if it was tom's that covered that as well.

If anything these kits probably utilize an exploit in the WPA/WPA2 mechanism and does not really decrypt or "crack" the cipher strength of WPA/WPA2.

Just my 2 cents worth.

G

i use a radius based authentication infrastructure. Go ahead hack all you want the keys are managed by the server and they change every 3 hours.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
WiFi cracking has been going on as long as there has been WiFi to crack. There have always been various ways to protect your WiFi, but when it gets down to it you can't secure it 100%. I read somewhere one time that they recommend banks and so forth to NOT have WiFi because it cannot be made totally secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.