Wich one? PC speakers. Woxter BigBass 260 vs logitech z506

Tommynew

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
One is 2.1 an the other is 5.1.
I dont care about this too much, i cant fix a 5.1 properly into my room.

But i dont know wich one is better.
Specs says bigbas has 150W, but i think its not rms.
I read somewhere its 56RMS (20+18*2) but i dont if its true or not.

Logitech z506 has 75 RMS (27S + 8*4 + 16center).

They cost almost the same.

But i dont know wich one i should pick.

Thank you.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
If you know audio, then you know that a subwoofer can actually make bass worse. Look at any recording studio and they use monitors, not 2 cheap tingy speakers with a big thundering sub.

Yes a cheap 2.0 setup will not sound good, and yes a subwoofer can make up for cheap speakers making a cheap 2.1 system sound better than it is. But I would advice you to get the best 2.0 system you can afford. M-Audio has quite a lineup and you can't go wrong with them. They have many awards under their belt.

There are also many other good 2.0 setups that would blow either of the 2 above systems out of the water. Headphones sound great and they don't have a subwoofer so think about it. Now if you were doing a surround home theatre then that is a different issue and you want a subwoofer for the LFE channel in movies. But even a decent home theatre uses 2 very nice tower speakers up front and when listening to music you use only those without the sub.

Also 2.0 monitors have an integrated amplifier that is designed to be neutral and not color the sound. It is of much higher quality than what is available in cheaper computer speakers and is one reason they will sound better. For under $500 and a nice set of speakers that will fit nicely on your computer desk, it's hard to argue against a pair of monitors and M-Audio are up there as some of the best. Their AV series are more affordable and more designed for computers. If you can swing it, step it up a notch into a real pair of pro audio studio monitors such as the M-Audio BX 5 Carbons. There are also other brands such as Emotiva, Audioengine, KEF, JBL, KRK, Dynaudio, etc....

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
As a note you can always add a hometheatre sub to any 2.0 system. Just feed the line level to the sub and use the build in crossover. All subs have a built in amp.

When it comes to computer speakers the sub has the amp for everything including the speakers. If anything goes wrong you have to ditch the whole thing. With monitors just add any old home theatre subwoofer and it'll work and sound better and tighter than a sub included with computer speakers.

Start with the monitors, then add a sub in the future if desired.

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Sorry if I'm resurrecting :p But just to let others know perhaps, I've got a logitech Z506 + a pair of studio monitors hooked up. I usually use both of them together for multimedia and they sound gorgeous, the monitors really bring out the mid-end and yes you're right about the bass. Monitors aren't coloured and the Z506 is high/low heavy so they miss out on the mids. My monitors suck ass for having fun with bass but the Z506 fixes that quite nicely :>. Just don't get tempted to use them while you're producing!