wifes work laptop

beescher

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
im looking at two new laptops for my wife one with intel i5 forth gen 4200u intel graphics hd4400 8mb of ram, the other is amd quadcore a10-5745m with 6mb ram. Its not used for games at all she wants to be able to have 25-30 windows open then fill out forms and close as she goes online, so processing speed is a must. she currently has a dell with intel with core 2 duo and has been happy with it she got it 4-6 years ago and the charging plug broke and it has no hdmi ports they werent out then. so what processor do you guys think would fit her needs best? thanks

Solution

Richard Ricardo

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
The 8gb on the intel will be better at having many programs and files open at once and the graphics processor and cpu are no slouch either (unless shes playing video games or heavily using photoshop type programs).

SHADE117

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014

a quad core will deal just fine with multiple programms a more important speed upgrade to a laptop would be an SSD since laptop HDDs are lame as F and they bring the whole system down even if it has an i7

Richard Ricardo

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014

If its light programs like Microsoft Word, Excell and various web browsers, it shouldn't lag at all.

beescher

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

thanks for all the answers, she opens the windows online, so opens a website to a fill in form, she would like to have them all open fill them in then close the internet page. so it seems the intel i5 is liked better and a better quality? other post say that the i5 should last longer without problems? Like i said her core 2 duo has lasted 6yrs i bought it when it was the top of the line. with the core 2 duo t6600 at 2.2ghz

beescher

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

another question her core 2 duo is 2.2ghz and the i5 is only 1.6ghz up to 2.6ghz is the i5 4200u really that better then the core2 duo 6600?

Richard Ricardo

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014

Intel usually makes higher quality products (at least at the moment) and the computer should last a while but there is never a guarantee because something can always go wrong that might be out of your control. As for the GHz difference, the I5 is still faster because there are other aspects to consider other than the GHz such as the fact that the I5 has 4 mini processors in it working simultaneously (called quad core) while the core 2 duo only has two (dual core). There are other factors to consider as well when looking at processors but I won't bore you with all the technical details.

beescher

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

one last question the intel 7260 bgn wireless card is it complete junk? ive read about it being kind of slow, it needs to be kind of fast its used for online contest. i have premium internet with docsis 3.0 100Mbs just need the adapter to be as fast thanks again ill be picking your response as solution the laptop is the dell inspiron 15r 5537 its replacing another dell inspiron 1545 the one with the bad power cord, thanks again

Richard Ricardo

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014

From my experience, no laptop has a great wireless card installed. If you think its necessary, you can always purchase a USB wifi adapter of higher quality than the one installed.

Solution