Question Wifi adapter crashes ONLY when 20+ feet away

May 6, 2019
Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster. So I did a ton of research and various fixes but am finally at a dead end. Like the subject says, this only happens when I get about 20 feet away. It is definitely not lack of signal. I got the Wifi Analyzer App and it confirms good signal. I can use the Microsoft troubleshooter and that will restore signal via resetting wifi adapter. This fix will last for between for 30 seconds to 20 minutes. Alternately, I'll use Device Manager and toggle enable/disable it's the same effect basically. I have a dual band router so I'll even switch to the 'longer' band one. Same thing.

I have 2 laptops and the other one can go triple the distance without any issues (and that's a $200 one). I can sit within 20 feet of the router for 4 - 8 hours straight and never once lose signal which makes me think the adapter itself is 'fine'.

This I have already done:
  • the power management feature was disabled long ago.
  • Every single step (where applicable), which is a lot, on this specific Lenovo's support page
  • cleared everything via 'Manage known Networks'
  • attempted to update wifi adapter drivers - the best/newest are already installed
What am I left to do?
Thanks ahead of time!

Lenovo ThinkPad E565
Broadcom 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
Windows 10, all updated n stuff

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 1
Lartwel Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 5
bhaaratsharma Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 9
P Laptop Tech Support 1