Wifi device not showing up on brand new laptop

dmantx

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
My girlfriend got a new work laptop right before christmas... when she opened it up, there was no wifi at all but everything else seemed fine. i looked under device manager and there was no device even present...

called the seller and returned it to their tech support. as soon as they turn it on, wifi loads right up, they update windows, i can see the last update date that matches that. they called me while it was on and said they were connected to wifi actively and the device was there, no problem...

So they send it back and she recieves it today, no wifi AGAIN... nothing in device manager and i ran the included Intel Proset wireless diagnostics software and it confirms no wireless device present

what could be causing this situation?
they claimed to open the laptop up and checked the wifi device connection but maybe it came loose again...

laptop is a toshiba satelite S50 - A

thanks

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Check the system bios and see if WiFi is disabled there. The Proset application may not be suitable unless it has an Intel card installed, there's a chance there is more than one wireless option available. Also make sure the machine doesn't have a FN key to disable WiFi (like airplane mode for notebooks). They used to include a sliding off switch on some machines that basically turned the radios off. If all else fails take it to Staples or Best Buy and have their Geeks look at it.