Solved! Wifi Dropping with New ASUS FX705GM

Dec 13, 2018
After getting a new laptop, my wireless kept dropping about 3+ times per day, while my old laptop maintained connection right next to it. I also noticed that the signal strength would fluctuate, while my old laptop kept displaying full strength.

After trying some things such as resetting my wireless, I gave up and exchanged it for a different laptop of the same type. However, that one still has the same issue, right out of the box (only more frequently).

Looking around a bit, I've tried disabling and re-enabling the wireless. I've also read about windows firewall being a problem, so I've tried disabling that too.

I'm not sure what else to try.

Edit: Windows 10 by the way

Solution
It may actually not be that the laptop is dropping it but that it is more sensitive to changes in the WiFi and that is what is fluctuating. I would suggest start with rebooting (turning off and back on) the modem/router and then see if that resolves it.

If it doesn't, then monitor the modem/routers connection and see if the speed and connection is fluctuating. You may want to connect via Ethernet to test as well, that way you can tell if the problem is only happening on WiFi or not. If the speed is fluctuating, then you need to either get a new modem/router or get your ISP to fix the problem.

NOTE: Many devices will stay connected and not show the issue unless it lasts for a while, however some devices are more sensitive to such...
It may actually not be that the laptop is dropping it but that it is more sensitive to changes in the WiFi and that is what is fluctuating. I would suggest start with rebooting (turning off and back on) the modem/router and then see if that resolves it.

If it doesn't, then monitor the modem/routers connection and see if the speed and connection is fluctuating. You may want to connect via Ethernet to test as well, that way you can tell if the problem is only happening on WiFi or not. If the speed is fluctuating, then you need to either get a new modem/router or get your ISP to fix the problem.

NOTE: Many devices will stay connected and not show the issue unless it lasts for a while, however some devices are more sensitive to such changes in speed and connection. That laptop may be one that is more sensitive to it.

Solution
Dec 13, 2018

Rebooting the router worked with the first new laptop for a few hours, but it does nothing to improve the situation for the replacement laptop.

The router is ~10 years old, and it has had issues on occasion, but more like once a month, rather than multiple times a day. However, the new laptop would indeed be much more sensitive.

How do I monitor the speed to see if it is fluctuating? ping times? broadband speed test?

I suggest this site for speed monitoring. https://testmy.net/ It tends to be more accurate than the average ones. They also have an option to repeatedly monitor the speeds over a time period, which can help you see if there are any significant drops and how often.

NOTE: It doesn't give you the other info like Ping and Jitter. So you would have to find a different site for monitoring those. If you choose a more well known place to use, then try using two or three different places. I have sadly found that some of those give false positive results.