WiFi-only Galaxy Tab Launching Sunday for $350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Hopefully Ice Sandwich or whatever they call it will come out soon and will be supported on all tablets from start. Honeycomb feels more like a tech-demo for now.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i remember the time when apple used to be the overpriced ones. Then the tablets came out and apple is actually the affordable option, with the 7 inch wifi tab at 350, I highly doubt the big galaxy tabs are gonna be competitively priced. I still wouldnt buy since I just know that if I buy Ill use it for a day ot 2 and then think "what should I do with this?".

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Picked up an off contract Verizon Galaxy Tab. The 7" inch form factor is under rated and is, in my opinion, the ideal size for a truly portable and fully functional tablet. Of course everyone is brainwashed into "bigger-better-faster" but after checking out the Xoom, the iPad, and reading several reviews about the soon to be released tablets; the Galaxy Tab is a great device. I can actually put the Galaxy Tab in my pants pocket, shorts pocket, coat pocket, or stash inside by laptop bag; can't say that about the iPad or Xoom. Not for nothing, dual core is certainly faster, but I I have yet to experience any processing related issues. If anything, Samsung should release a 7" Galaxy Tab for the 4G network because connectivity is the big bottleneck; and regardless of how fast any processor is or if it's single/dual core, all existing and soon to be released tablets are being held back not by processor speed, RAM, or expandable memory, but are being held back by the cellular network. The complaints about apps not "being sized right" for tablets most likely comes from folks who never really or extensively used a 7" tablet as a true mobile device. I have not had any issues with apps, web pages, or anything sizing properly on the Galaxy Tab. As far as the Galaxy Tab not natively running Honeycomb, who cares; again, with all the apps available and given the Galaxy Tab has been on the market for so long, there are zero issues with getting the apps you need or with ensuring a smooth user experience with Froyo. Best thing that I have found about the tab and a Froyo device is the easy ability to root the device and the amount of hacked and off-market apps available; the hacked Skype app allowing calls over 3G is a perfect example. Now I can use my American version of the Galaxy Tab like the rest of the world can, as a cell phone and portable internet/entertainment device.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]I bet the Loch Ness monster sure could use tree fiddy right about now...[/citation]+100 points for the South Park reference. By far one of my favorite episodes.

Don't give no Loch Ness monsta tree-fiddy!

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
the only difference between a WiFi only version of the galaxy tab and the B&N Nook color is the camera (pretty sure the galaxy has a camera), the Galaxy runs Froyo - the Nook can easily be made to run Honeycomb thanks to Deeper_Blue, and the Nook is $100 cheaper.
Other than that, the hardware specs are almost identical. So I say, save your money, buy a nook, install Honeycomb on it, and play away. yes it's slower than a Xoom tablet, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

And I agree with ChunkyMonster... when did bigger always mean better?

What I really want is a Tegra 2 7" WiFi only tablet. I've got my phone for 3g coverage and could probably set up wifi tethering if I really wanted my tablet to have constant connectivity. I just want something simple and small, yet powerful enough not to hickup if I try to use it heavy.

G

Don't forget about eLocity A7, it is a 7in tablet with the TegraII as well. Not to mention it sells for around the same price and if you are lucky you can get it less.

farleytron

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
How many minnows and worms does it take before you get "baited breath"?

It's "bated breath"... not baited.

Nobody likes funky bait breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.