WiFi & Power Button Problems after Disassembling Laptop

abvincita

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
Hi all, I disassembled my Asus N43SL yesterday to clean the fan, reapply the thermal paste, and upgrade the RAM.

I followed the disassembly manual here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/96685660/how-to-disassemble-your-n43-series and didn't encounter any major problems during the disassembly and reassembly.

After reassembling my laptop, everything seems to work fine except for these 3 weird problems:

1. The WiFi is not detected at all. It's as if my laptop doesn't have any WiFi capability, it just keeps looking for LAN connection. Switching the physical WiFi switch on and off seems to do nothing at all. I've tried going to BIOS and made sure that the wireless connection is enabled, but it still won't work.

2. I can't turn on the laptop using the power button. I can still turn it on using the special Asus button which will turn on the laptop using the Asus Express Gate Cloud interface, and then from there I can get to Windows without any problems.

3. When the laptop is off but connected to power (either battery or plugged in), the power button is glowing constantly. On the other hand, when the laptop is on, the power button STOPS glowing but the capslock indicator light is glowing constantly.

Note that after I get to Windows through the Asus Express Gate Cloud thingy, everything seems to be fine except for the WiFi issues mentioned in number 1. The additional RAM is detected just fine, audio & video are all OK, battery & charging are fine, and no data is lost.

The power button, capslock indicator light, and physical WiFi switch are all located on the top right hand corner of the laptop, so maybe those issues are related? I can provide some photos if necessary.

Any help or suggestions of what I could've done wrong is welcomed :)
Thanks in advance!

abvincita

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
Thanks a lot Someone Somewhere-- you were right!

I disassembled my laptop again and turned out the WLAN board on the top right corner wasn't connected properly to the motherboard. The power switch is also located on the WLAN board, hence the problems with the power button as well.

Sooo I just made sure that the WLAN board is connected firmly to the motherboard and everything is fixed now! Thanks for your help ^^