Solved! Wifi wont connect to certain devices

Dec 22, 2019
Hello all,

I've made an account here because i cant seem to find any answers or solutions to my problem anywhere else and I am hoping somebody on here will be able to assist me.

I'm currently having a problem with my wifi not connecting to my laptop or smart tv. It connects just fine to my other devices (game console, phones) but for whatever reason, not my laptop or tv. The wifi even connects just fine to my wifes laptop. I've tried unplugging the modem, restarting the modem, and even plugging an ethernet cord into my laptop, which still didnt give me any connection to the internet.

Does anyone have any solutions? The help will be appreciated.

Solution
It could be settings in the TV and the Laptop that aren't connecting. It could be the devices are in an area that are not able to reach that WiFi. It is even possible that the modem has a limitation on it. Limiting the number of devices that can connect, or have blocked certain devices.

To check the laptop and TV you will have to try connecting them to a different WiFi and see if they will connect to that. If they do, then you know the problem is within your WiFi (distance, limitations, settings, etc.). However, if both won't connect to any WiFi at all, then you are looking at problems within the devices.

For the TV I can't say how to check (not a TV person). For the laptop, if it won't connect to any WiFi then you need to try...
It could be settings in the TV and the Laptop that aren't connecting. It could be the devices are in an area that are not able to reach that WiFi. It is even possible that the modem has a limitation on it. Limiting the number of devices that can connect, or have blocked certain devices.

To check the laptop and TV you will have to try connecting them to a different WiFi and see if they will connect to that. If they do, then you know the problem is within your WiFi (distance, limitations, settings, etc.). However, if both won't connect to any WiFi at all, then you are looking at problems within the devices.

For the TV I can't say how to check (not a TV person). For the laptop, if it won't connect to any WiFi then you need to try connecting via Ethernet. If that works, then the laptops WiFi may need replacing (or you would need an external one).

Now if they will connect to other WiFis, you need to then log into your modem's settings and see if there are any limitations set to limit the number of devices or block certain devices.

Solution
Dec 22, 2019

For the TV I can't say how to check (not a TV person). For the laptop, if it won't connect to any WiFi then you need to try connecting via Ethernet. If that works, then the laptops WiFi may need replacing (or you would need an external one).

Now if they will connect to other WiFis, you need to then log into your modem's settings and see if there are any limitations set to limit the number of devices or block certain devices.
I'm starting to believe that there is a limit to the amount of devices I can have connected at one time, only problem is I have no idea on how I would check or change that. Im logged into my modem (coda-4589) settings page and dont see an option to changing limitations anywhere.

You can check usually under either "Connected Devices" or "Parental Control" sections. or similar names/sections.

The blocked devices (and trusted devices) is usually in the "Parental Controls" while the other limiting is usually in the "Connected Devices".

If nothing there (and the devices work on other WiFi) then it may be a limitation by your provider? Perhaps due to usage? That would have to be checked with them.