Wii-playing Drug Cops Receive Slap on Wrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/

Way less ads, way more reliable reviews, their benchmarks aren't always being called into question.

And tech news is actually tech-related and not based on what the editors like to write about. Done with Wii-Apple city.

See ya there.

Enjoy your one week ban.

cctchristensen

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
"Some may feel that the punishment dealt doesn't match up with the irresponsibility demonstrated..."

Sure the actions were unprofessional, but it has no bearing on the investigation and raid. Someone is watching a little too much CSI.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I think a letter of retraining is sufficient. It's not like these guys were taking evidence (money or drugs) for themselves, or planting evidence, or any other form of abuse of authority. They were just screwing around when they should have been working. It's not like any of us has never done that.

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
If you're rich (celebrities & non-celebrities), work for the government (municipal, provincial, federal; this includes police) you always get a slap on the wrist because you're above the law.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]nelson_nel[/nom]http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/Way less ads, way more reliable reviews, their benchmarks aren't always being called into question.And tech news is actually tech-related and not based on what the editors like to write about. Done with Wii-Apple city.See ya there.[/citation]

Still ... a week should suffice.

:)

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]nelson_nel, quit being a dick-hole, you should be banned from this site Fucking TROLL!!![/citation]
Wah! Sorry I'm not a pseudo-intellectual like yourself ;)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Huh, I missed this story the first time, weird. However, this was an undercover drug raid, were the cops supposed to say "no thanks, I'd rather not play Wii bowling, can you instead lead me directly to you stash of illegal drugs *whisper*testing 1-2-3*whisper*"?

I think its more ridiculous that the article states the police never recovered the guys computer that the camera was connected to. Just think of how many suspects might have been photographed on that thing. And if the police never confiscated the computer, where did the picture come from? Was the criminal allowed to post this thing to facebook or something? What kind of police are these?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]nelson_nel[/nom]Wah! Sorry I'm not a pseudo-intellectual like yourself[/citation]
Nelson, quit taking your horrible life out on others, it's a bad cologne. We can't help if your father never hugged you, just go ahead and off yourself, you'll be doing the world a favor with one less troll.

Ps. make me a sammich! (how's that for intellect?)

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]nonstoprobot[/nom]Even worse, I bet the training hours will be paid. Even more tax payer money down the drain.[/citation]

Legally those retraining hours have to be paid for. An employer of any kind cannot force an employee to work without pay. That's against federal law.

Honestly, having been in law enforcement, I think what they did was irresponsible and stupid. However, I'm glad to see there wasn't anything more serious than this. I don't think this is something I'd want to have someone fired over.

I'm sure the embarrassment of the publicity over this is going to be 90% of the punishment for these officers.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
That is all they should receive. People also need to remember that these letters will cause the officers problems if they seek employment elsewhere. I doubt there is anyone that would want their livelihood taken away due to some moments of bad judgment.

Yes, the training hours will be paid; it is the law. Would YOU work for free? No, so do not try and pass your ridiculous "standards" onto others. Let me tell you a quick story.

When I was in law enforcement(about two years ago), I was working a murder-suicide. The group of us was collecting evidence and gather our notes, when someone said something funny and we all chuckled. Remember now, officers deal with constantly stressful situations and living in an environment like that takes a toll rather quickly.

Well, a reporter decided to break the containment line and observed us chuckling. It came out in the paper two days later and we were all given letters in our file and force into a "touchy-feely" class. It was all total bullshit and most of us relocated in different agencies or found different careers.

Respect law enforcement officers, they do a rather hard job. When they are working for 24 and 48 hours straight on a case, do not shit on them for taking break. Yeah, the raid might have lasted nine hours, but I can bet you that they spent double or triple that preparing just prior.

I bet that there are hardly any of you that could do that job a quarter as good as those officers.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Who among you haven't played solitaire or free cell at work cast the first stone. Not worth a letter and training or we would all be getting it at our jobs.

G

man....give them a break...they get **** pay... after going through training that rivals most Army camps, and see things everyday that we only see in movies, or nightmares...i say "LET THEM PLAY Wii DAMMIT"!!!!

jeez

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
These people put their lives at risk everyday. I don't care if they decided to have a little fun in a world that is mostly danger for them.

I don't care that it was on "taxpayers money" either, because law enforcement officers/first responders/etc. are underpaid to begin with.

I'd rather my tax money goes towards their existence rather than have it get handed out to people who happen to be in a lower income bracket because it's the "American" thing to do, that's for damn sure.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I think montezuma has it right here. There's no story here; a moment of careless loss of control, but no big deal. I do hope the "retraining" recognizes their need to be able to let off a little steam from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.