Wii Sports Resort and MotionPlus Dated

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
no no they are just going to build up demand and then keep the supply low and simulate a very high value to their product (psst just like the Wii).

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Supply low for the Wii? They've outsold Sony and Microsoft by far. If they kept supply low then sales would be low.

Wii has over doubled PS3 sales. Nintendo has sold nearly 20 million more units worldwide than Microsoft. Low supply? Nearly 50 million units have been sold. That's 19.5mil units/year and 1.63mil/month. Jeez. That's over 53,000 units/day. Sounds like a lot, huh? 48.8 million units in 900 days.

Just think about that for a minute.

Anyway, it's probably a good move. If they released it all together there is no doubt people would by the game (with attachment) and purchase an extra attachment or three. Stores would be cleared out.

stormxll1

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Nintendo keeps selling at overrated prices. Sells the most! Why !
Simple sell old stuff that is cheap to make, put some microsoft motion sensing in it and hype it as new stuff. Easy to fool consumers as long the price seems low. I will never buy annyting from that cashcow company.
Sorry for my spelling.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]AdamB5000[/nom]Supply low for the Wii? They've outsold Sony and Microsoft by far. If they kept supply low then sales would be low.Wii has over doubled PS3 sales. Nintendo has sold nearly 20 million more units worldwide than Microsoft. Low supply? Nearly 50 million units have been sold. That's 19.5mil units/year and 1.63mil/month. Jeez. That's over 53,000 units/day. Sounds like a lot, huh? 48.8 million units in 900 days.Just think about that for a minute.Anyway, it's probably a good move. If they released it all together there is no doubt people would by the game (with attachment) and purchase an extra attachment or three. Stores would be cleared out.[/citation]

maybe you never tried to buy a Wii... I'm not saying that they did not have a lot of sales, but... I am saying i think they kinda kept trying to keep the supply a little under the demand to keep building value and eventually making more demand for the unit.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I'd say it's to get the uninformed Wii owners to buy attachments for each of their remotes now, not knowing they will get a "free" one when Resort comes out. Or maybe they actually have a good reason?

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]maybe you never tried to buy a Wii... I'm not saying that they did not have a lot of sales, but... I am saying i think they kinda kept trying to keep the supply a little under the demand to keep building value and eventually making more demand for the unit.[/citation]

I received a Wii from my family for Christmas. They had no trouble finding one and I even saw stock in stores all during the Christmas season. Some people had trouble but if I purchased one every time I saw stock in the month of Nov.-Dec. 2008 I'd probably have ten of them.

But seriously, this isn't as big as some people will make it out to be. If you want one, buy one. If you don't, that's cool too. BFD.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
All the stores around here have the Wii in stock now, though they were out over the holidays.

I can understand Nintendo's troubles. You plan for a certain sales point and ramp-up production to meet that goal. If the product's demand greatly exceeds your prediction, you will be unable to keep up and then you have to try and guess if the huge demand is a momentary spike or will it be sustained. You don't want to spend a ton of Yen on additional production facilities, only to have them sit idle once they're ready because the demand has disappeared. If it's a spike, you ride it out with existing production facilities and catch up when the spike is over. If it's a sustained demand, like the Wii's appeared to be, then you're going to want to add the additional production capability ASAP.

I understand there is a huge demand for crystal ball operators in most corporations today. Maybe some of these people who are criticizing Nintendo would consider applying for the position, seeing as they obviously saw what Nintendo didn't before it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.