Wii U Won't Launch Before April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
well good luck to them. The lack of games problem has been around a lot longer than just the 3DS.
We purchased the Wii when it came out because it was the first interesting looking console from Nintendo sense the Super Nintendo way back in the day. While the console was fun to use, we still have not found many games that we have enjoyed on the thing except for a few first party mario games. The 3DS sales are just as much about being burnt by the Wii as they are about the lack of need for the 3DS.
Until they have a good eco-system of 3rd party games like their competitors then many of us will stay away.

G

simple games? what like xenoblade, zelda, resident evil, last story, pandoras tower and a fair few more. Get a clue

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Problem with Nintendo consoles is that they only provide casual simple games, and now tablets and smartphones stole that market.[/citation]
I suppose Call Of Duty: Black Ops is a simple casual game.
So if the Wii has lots of triple A titles but also does Monkey Tennis for 3 year olds and the Xbox doesn't, surely that means the Wii has a broader appeal to a larger customer base?
Probably explains why they sold more Wii consoles than the Xbox 360 and the PS3 combined.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I suppose Call Of Duty: Black Ops is a simple casual game.So if the Wii has lots of triple A titles but also does Monkey Tennis for 3 year olds and the Xbox doesn't, surely that means the Wii has a broader appeal to a larger customer base?...Probably explains why they sold more Wii consoles than the Xbox 360 and the PS3 combined.[/citation]

They did? I had no idea :) Sorry, not too good with console nonsense, but somehow most of the console players I saw and heard of play on Xbox 360/PS3 and the only games I've heard of on Nintendo consoles is all these simulators and casual childish stuff. Apparently, they have more than that, but it looks like most of the Nintendo customers buy the console for the simple games.

And yes, Black Ops is a simple casual game :) Casual doesn't just mean that people play it occasionally; it's a broader term. Call of Duty leaves NOTHING behind it - there's no decent storyline, no interesting characters (though Price is pretty funny at times) and no great universe to immerse in. Mass Effect, Warcrafts, Warhammer 40K provide something that attaches you to the game in a way that is deeper than a shooter like CoD can. Of course, people dump hours and hours onto CoD MP, but it doesn't make it stand anywhere higher. Thus it's a simple, casual game. Run-aim-shoot/knife, that's all there's to it. Sure, there're "tactics" and "strategy", but it doesn't change the fact that the game is a casual shooter.

Actually, I've finished all CoDs (single player) except Black Ops - the single player is fun as long as you play it, then you're done with it and there's zero replay value, while multiplayer is disgustingly boring. As for BO, I couldn't even finish single player - it just plain sucks. Honestly, I don't understand what makes the series so popular; before I had access to latest CoDs, I thought they're the greatest games on the market because of all the hype, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

I'd same the same thing about BF series, but I don't dare... I never tried their multiplayer and can't judge :D Well, at least they have decent graphics...

Wow, that went off topic :D Sorry for the rant, but I just can't stand when CoD series is portrayed as anything more than a simple console shooter.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]well good luck to them. The lack of games problem has been around a lot longer than just the 3DS.We purchased the Wii when it came out because it was the first interesting looking console from Nintendo sense the Super Nintendo way back in the day. While the console was fun to use, we still have not found many games that we have enjoyed on the thing except for a few first party mario games. The 3DS sales are just as much about being burnt by the Wii as they are about the lack of need for the 3DS.Until they have a good eco-system of 3rd party games like their competitors then many of us will stay away.[/citation]

i got the wii for wii sports and zelda.
no, the poor 3ds sales are because of lack of games, i was planning to buy it the moment zelda came out, but in the 3-4 months before that came out, nintendo released not 1 game that was worth buying, and mega man, the other system seller, got canned. because of that and the fact there are less than 5 system selling games, are the reason i dont have one, once they get 5 games, and looks like games are going to ramp up (even if shovel ware) i will pick one up.

you dont need 3rd party when you are nintendo.

that said, nintendo, if i understand their online right, are going a more pc approach, where people can pay for their own servers for almost any game, which i am interested by.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Problem with Nintendo consoles is that they only provide casual simple games, and now tablets and smartphones stole that market.[/citation]

you must never have owned a nintendo console, and only looked at shovel ware crap. please look into the nintendo library and its 3rd party things too, you may be surprised.

[citation][nom]LonegamerNO1[/nom]simple games? what like xenoblade, zelda, resident evil, last story, pandoras tower and a fair few more. Get a clue[/citation]

wow, shoveing their ignorance in their face, and getting down voted for it

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I suppose Call Of Duty: Black Ops is a simple casual game.So if the Wii has lots of triple A titles but also does Monkey Tennis for 3 year olds and the Xbox doesn't, surely that means the Wii has a broader appeal to a larger customer base?...Probably explains why they sold more Wii consoles than the Xbox 360 and the PS3 combined.[/citation]

thank you for getting it, though many of those system sales are also just a curiosity piece too.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]They did? I had no idea Sorry, not too good with console nonsense, but somehow most of the console players I saw and heard of play on Xbox 360/PS3 and the only games I've heard of on Nintendo consoles is all these simulators and casual childish stuff. Apparently, they have more than that, but it looks like most of the Nintendo customers buy the console for the simple games.And yes, Black Ops is a simple casual game Casual doesn't just mean that people play it occasionally; it's a broader term. Call of Duty leaves NOTHING behind it - there's no decent storyline, no interesting characters (though Price is pretty funny at times) and no great universe to immerse in. Mass Effect, Warcrafts, Warhammer 40K provide something that attaches you to the game in a way that is deeper than a shooter like CoD can. Of course, people dump hours and hours onto CoD MP, but it doesn't make it stand anywhere higher. Thus it's a simple, casual game. Run-aim-shoot/knife, that's all there's to it. Sure, there're "tactics" and "strategy", but it doesn't change the fact that the game is a casual shooter. Actually, I've finished all CoDs (single player) except Black Ops - the single player is fun as long as you play it, then you're done with it and there's zero replay value, while multiplayer is disgustingly boring. As for BO, I couldn't even finish single player - it just plain sucks. Honestly, I don't understand what makes the series so popular; before I had access to latest CoDs, I thought they're the greatest games on the market because of all the hype, but I couldn't have been more wrong.I'd same the same thing about BF series, but I don't dare... I never tried their multiplayer and can't judge Well, at least they have decent graphics...Wow, that went off topic Sorry for the rant, but I just can't stand when CoD series is portrayed as anything more than a simple console shooter.[/citation]
Mass Effect 3 has been tabled for the Wii U
All academic really as I am a PC gamer like you, but have to play devil's advocate :)

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Unfortunately, because I really do like Nintendo and all the fond memories I have with them, the Wii U will not sell well. Why? because the market that the original wii was aimed towards ALREADY HAS a freaking wii. Yes, this one will add a tablet-like motion controll.. but ask yourselves this.. If you have a tablet already, do you really want/need another one to be sitting around the house? Also, if you don't have one, (most likely cause you dont like them or can't afford one), is a nintendo only tablet the way you want to go?

As for the motion controls.. yeah.. you aren't going to sell the Wii U on the premise of something that is already out there in wayy too many fashions. The upgraded graphics would only appeal to gamers who care about that stuff. And those gamers already have an Xbox 360 or PS3. Why would they throw down that much money on a system (which doesn't get the best titles out there) when the ps4 and next gen Xbox are around the corner in 2013.

I think this will take Nintendo down.

G

I am fully prepared for an April the 1st launch! Well done Nintendo!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Mass Effect 3 has been tabled for the Wii U...All academic really as I am a PC gamer like you, but have to play devil's advocate[/citation]

Mass Effects are console games originally, so no surprise here. It's not confirmed officially yet, but I won't be surprised, since EA/BW is all set to get MAXIMUM PROFIT from ME3.

And of course you're playing devil's advocate, as usual... :lol: Keep it up, it's pretty entertaining.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Mass Effects are console games originally, so no surprise here. It's not confirmed officially yet, but I won't be surprised, since EA/BW is all set to get MAXIMUM PROFIT from ME3.And of course you're playing devil's advocate, as usual... Keep it up, it's pretty entertaining.[/citation]
Being devils advocate is a bit fun, but its also a method for keeping centered, too many people in here blindly back their favourite company as fanbois without a shred of objectivity.
Down with fanbois.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Nintendo better make a lot of games not to many people buy Nintendo consoles to play BF3 or MW3 or GTA5

They need to make lots of good quality games. I only like Nintendo systems and PC's for gaming. I just want Nintendo to be a success like they where on the wii.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Being devils advocate is a bit fun, but its also a method for keeping centered, too many people in here blindly back their favourite company as fanbois without a shred of objectivity.Down with fanbois.[/citation]

everytime i mention that a fps could be more fun on the wiiu than on the pc, its an auto 4 downvotes... its hard to tell why.

do they honestly not think that? i mean i can see why people may not believe the claim but think about it for a bit, and i trust we can come to about the same conclusion.

do they fear that if people read that, they may completely abandon the pc?

i mean its not hard to get a gun in your hands while you play the game, have the table mounted to it, and for iron sights or scope, you look at the tablet, which is always zoomed in, down the barrel/scope.

a system seller for me would be silent scope like game for it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]They did? I had no idea Sorry, not too good with console nonsense, but somehow most of the console players I saw and heard of play on Xbox 360/PS3 and the only games I've heard of on Nintendo consoles is all these simulators and casual childish stuff.[/citation]

I appreciate how you admit from the start you don't really know what you're talking about so we all know to disregard whatever follows. I mean, people just kind of blindly connect a console as only able to do one thing and stick with that. Nintendo had several of the console FPS titles on it, but the Wiimote really wasn't good for aiming and the network wasn't as open as XBL/PSN. They also had No More Heroes and other mature weapon based games, the Wiimote just wasn't good at controlling them. If you prefer more complicated games, they did have Monster Hunter Tri. Dragon Quest also seems to be coming on Nintendo systems a lot, and it's considered to be much more involved than Final Fantasy. Even Pokemon is pretty complex when you really involve yourself in it, with the statistics of random catch and breeding and strong vs weak/status effect matchups. I could also point out the many puzzle type games that a lot of people would consider shovelware because it's intellectual. I'm willing to bet Nintendo actually sells more intellectual games than XBox and PS3. A mature rating does not make it a mature game.

[citation][nom]Phishy714[/nom]Unfortunately, because I really do like Nintendo and all the fond memories I have with them, the Wii U will not sell well. Why? because the market that the original wii was aimed towards ALREADY HAS a freaking wii. Yes, this one will add a tablet-like motion controll.. but ask yourselves this.. If you have a tablet already, do you really want/need another one to be sitting around the house? Also, if you don't have one, (most likely cause you dont like them or can't afford one), is a nintendo only tablet the way you want to go? As for the motion controls.. yeah.. you aren't going to sell the Wii U on the premise of something that is already out there in wayy too many fashions. The upgraded graphics would only appeal to gamers who care about that stuff. And those gamers already have an Xbox 360 or PS3. Why would they throw down that much money on a system (which doesn't get the best titles out there) when the ps4 and next gen Xbox are around the corner in 2013. I think this will take Nintendo down.[/citation]

Well, first it seems like you think Nintendo is making the right move. Everyone who wants a Wii already has one, so it's time to put out a new system and take it in a different direction. Wii U is not going the casual party system direction, it wants to be for hardcore solo type games. The controller resembles a tablet, but it isn't a tablet. It isn't going to have 3G or Android or anything, you aren't going to do tablet things outside of the house with it, so it doesn't matter if someone already has a tablet. It's still just a controller. I personally think they're making a mistake not enabling and selling extra controllers of this type, it could have some use in multiplayer games. If system price is a concern, they should eliminate the controller from the box completely and make all controllers separate so people have a choice on whether or not they want the fancy one. Forcing the controller on people is where Nintendo sort of slips up, no control device is ideal for all games and the specialized ones narrow that margin further.

Ultimately, Nintendo needs to learn from their mistakes. A fall release will help because holidays always drive up sales of consoles. A better launch lineup from the very start is also key. Iwata, Mario is a launch title, get a Mario game on the system for launch, not in 6 months. Super Mario World sold SNES. Super Mario 64 sold n64. When did they think it was a good idea to change this? It has always been the key seller during launch and not doing so is lessening both the game and the system. If they want to reclaim the top spot, they also need to regain their 3rd party support. They can keep coasting by with their 1st party titles and an occasional diamond in the rough, but they won't be able to truly compete with Sony/MS if they can't get the same titles. What they need is go back to their roots in the SNES days if they want this direction to succeed.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
My issue with the Wii, and I do own one, is the lag. Although not a huge amount, there always seems to be just a hint of lag. When I move the controller in any direction, it moves, but it hesitates before doing so.

Again, it's not much, but it's enough for me to notice. And if I notice it, it bothers me.

I don't have that problem with keyboard and mouse on my gaming PC.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]My issue with the Wii, and I do own one, is the lag. Although not a huge amount, there always seems to be just a hint of lag. When I move the controller in any direction, it moves, but it hesitates before doing so.Again, it's not much, but it's enough for me to notice. And if I notice it, it bothers me.I don't have that problem with keyboard and mouse on my gaming PC.[/citation]

yea, there is a hit there, its because there is a camera in the wiimote and it needs to do some work figuring out everything and sending it to the console, your mouse is really just figuring out which direction and how fast, wii is figuring out which direction, is it tilted, did it move closer or further away.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
It'll launch sometime after next E3 conference (July onwards).
It'll have a full unveiling there, at E3. Not like this year, where they barely showed us anything.

Probably expect a few changes in design too.

Status
Not open for further replies.