Wikipedia's Banners Raise $20 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
"we operate on a tiny fraction of the resources of any other top site."

Pardon me, but wouldn't that mean they need even less money? The way i see it you have costs for servers and bandwidth and the R&D of programming the site.. but after that, users basically fill in all the content for you.

Even having the 5th most popular website ever, with loads and loads of traffic, I don't see how hosting can cost more than.. say.. 500,000 a year.

Don't get me wrong I love Wikipedia, great idea, but I still think they ask way too much when they keep the plea-banners going until 20 million (for 2011 only? really?) 20 mill should keep you good for the next 10 years (i hope). I will be disappointed if i see the same banners this year, or next year.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Sad that I can believe this guy when he says he will be responsible with the donated money, yet I can't say the same for my government.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]anonymous32111[/nom]"we operate on a tiny fraction of the resources of any other top site."Pardon me, but wouldn't that mean they need even less money? The way i see it you have costs for servers and bandwidth and the R&D of programming the site.. but after that, users basically fill in all the content for you.Even having the 5th most popular website ever, with loads and loads of traffic, I don't see how hosting can cost more than.. say.. 500,000 a year. Don't get me wrong I love Wikipedia, great idea, but I still think they ask way too much when they keep the plea-banners going until 20 million (for 2011 only? really?) 20 mill should keep you good for the next 10 years (i hope). I will be disappointed if i see the same banners this year, or next year.[/citation]
They provide their budget information freely. Go look at it.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
20m is a small price to pay. speaking for the UK only, 30p per person for a year's worth knowledge

Taking account of the world, everyone throwing in 1cent/pence would keep this place running for a long time.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Could you imagine a world without Wikipedia? I couldn't. If in an alternative reality Wikipedia cost $50 a year, I would still use it. Thankfully it's free, and I know I'm supporting a cause that is passively making the world a better place simply through access to information. In fact, Wikipedia is probably one of the most successful investments in the world the world has ever created. It probably surpasses the Marshall Plan in making the world a better place (for alot less money). We support you Wikipedia and hope you continue in your endeavors.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I appreciate that Wikipedia has been there for me as many times as I have needed it (which has been a lot). I use it heavily even to this day. I understand the legitimacy of concerns over users being able to alter articles - but I have seen many occasions where if an article is with question, it does become flagged in a short time-frame. What I appreciate the most about the donations though is that it keeps advertisers at bay. The last thing I want to do is read about a company who's product is advertised on the main page, the article gleams with how great it is, and really it's a complete failure. Keeping ad money out of an information-sharing site helps to maintain neutrality and keep bias out of it. Thanks guys!

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
This was the first time I had ever seen the banner to donate and I decided to put in a couple bucks. Glad I did, its nice to support something ad free and basically the best tool on the internet.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
If you have a target and only stop once you reach the target is it really that notable your donation total keeps increasing?

I'm not saying they are wrong to do such, it's just the way it's written would get slapped with a {{peerreview}} if it was a Wikipedia article (and not directly quoted from a source).

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I respect him for what he does, though the messages on the banner did become rather irritating after a while.

"If everyone donated $5, this could be over today"

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I love it how the pirate bay supports itself by selling a handful of tshirts and other gadgets with their logo on it. Not saying its bad to ask for donations but still.

nihiltres

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]If you have a target and only stop once you reach the target is it really that notable your donation total keeps increasing?[/citation]

It is notable when you continually reach higher goals in shorter periods of time. Take a look at Wikimedia's own statistics (shows every day of every fundraiser since 2007!) and you'll see that the rate of donations has increased every year. Though this was the biggest fundraiser Wikimedia has accomplished yet, it was also the shortest by far.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Wikimedia Foundation has reached its target for donations for 2011"

Let me see, it is January 4, 2012. Sounds like you just about made it in time then and the 2012 fundraising campaign will start tomorrow ?

Don't get me wrong folks, I am a fan of Wikipedia. But $20M (28.5M this year) is a chunk of change for a site like Wikipedia where the content is mostly free contributions.
I am wondering how much of that goes into management pockets under various budget item disguises. Not that it may not be deserved; why should anyone invent/develop something useful and not get rewarded. Just curious, that's all.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Wikimedia Foundation has reached its target for donations for 2011"Let me see, it is January 4, 2012. Sounds like you just about made it in time then and the 2012 fundraising campaign will start tomorrow ?Don't get me wrong folks, I am a fan of Wikipedia. But $20M (28.5M this year) is a chunk of change for a site like Wikipedia where the content is mostly free contributions.I am wondering how much of that goes into management pockets under various budget item disguises. Not that it may not be deserved; why should anyone invent/develop something useful and not get rewarded. Just curious, that's all.[/citation]

Think how much money a large company in the top 10 spends, they go through hundreds of millions per year, so I don't think 28 million for the 5th most popular website in the world is all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.