Will 8GB v 16GB be noticeable with following specs/tasks?

mrxboot89

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
HP Eltebook x360:
i7-7600U (2.9 GHz up to 3.9 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)
8GB/16GB RAM
512GB SSD DDR4 – 2133 integrated Intel 620 Graphics

80% of the time the laptop will be used for general use - web browsing, netflix, basic excel/word, etc. no plans for any gaming.

20% of the time I would like to be able to use it for work which (unfortunately for my budget) is CAD/BIM related, Revit 3D modelling, small amount of photoshop and illustrator.

Long term I'll have to build a dedicated desktop PC at home for my 3D modelling stuff, which is fine. Ideally I'd have laptop for commute/around the house and PC for work. For now I'm purchasing the laptop and I would really LOVE if it could handle at least basic Revit models and some really simple photoshop stuff. Is 8GB v 16GB going to play a big role in this? If 8GB will suffice (i.e. 16GB not going to get me a whole lot more performance) then I'll save the ~$300 for the desktop.

(Or alternatively hold out until surface book 2 and hope it has quadcore processor, decent dGPU, and stick all my eggs into that very expensive basket?)

Solution
i say leave it at 8gb.unless u are planning to multitask during heavy workload.regarding surface books,the thing can get very hot during workload and my office mate do face an issue where the screen show sign of ghosting and a few lines(this is during after a long time of heavy work load).it does come back to normal though after a few hours.but he is too scare to do it again so he opted for a laptop for heavy workload.XD.
i say leave it at 8gb.unless u are planning to multitask during heavy workload.regarding surface books,the thing can get very hot during workload and my office mate do face an issue where the screen show sign of ghosting and a few lines(this is during after a long time of heavy work load).it does come back to normal though after a few hours.but he is too scare to do it again so he opted for a laptop for heavy workload.XD.

Solution