Will a GTX 1080 + an i7-6700K overheat a laptop too quickly?

jbgarcia

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
That's what I'm planning on getting in my new laptop, in addition to:

16 GB DDR4 2400MHz ram
1 TB Sandisk X400 SSD + 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD

I am using IC Diamond Thermal Compound to help cool. Will adding extra copper heatsinks also help or will the benefit be minimal? Will this setup still produce too high temps? I don't want to get a killer laptop that will throttle itself 30 minutes in because of excessive heat.

By the way, I'm not interested in building a desktop for cheaper or any suggestions such as those. I have my reasons for getting a laptop ONLY, but I don't want to go overboard and end up with a super expensive paperweight.

*Edit* I am planning on playing at 1080p Ultra, not 4K so my components shouldn't work too hard, meaning lower temps, right? And yes I know it's overkill for 1080p but I don't plan on upgrading for many years.

Solution
If you're going in for a bulky chassis like sager/clevo then no,it won't throttle even with mild overclock but I'd still recommend you stay away from overclocking and unlocked processors in general because the temps can go really high (90+ for the i7-6700k @4.2 ghz) which will increase the fan noise like crazy(which makes me feel like my laptop could explode at any moment) and decrease component lifespan..
For the GPU I'd say youre fine with a ~200 mhz overclock but again,keep an eye on your temps. Generally overclocking in a laptop is not worth it because those few extra fps come at the cost of too extreme temperatures and fan noise.For example temp will go up 15 degrees for a 2 fps increase in performance ! (That is if you dont...

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Can you explain to us how you plan on building a laptop with these parts?

If you're buying one with them, you are dreaming if you think there is room to put more heatsinks.

As well If you purchase a laptop with them, taking it apart would not be in your (or your warranty's) best interests.

kunal_1991

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
If you're going in for a bulky chassis like sager/clevo then no,it won't throttle even with mild overclock but I'd still recommend you stay away from overclocking and unlocked processors in general because the temps can go really high (90+ for the i7-6700k @4.2 ghz) which will increase the fan noise like crazy(which makes me feel like my laptop could explode at any moment) and decrease component lifespan..
For the GPU I'd say youre fine with a ~200 mhz overclock but again,keep an eye on your temps. Generally overclocking in a laptop is not worth it because those few extra fps come at the cost of too extreme temperatures and fan noise.For example temp will go up 15 degrees for a 2 fps increase in performance ! (That is if you dont throttle) ultimately the decision to overclock is yours..

No extra copper cooling wont help at all and if not done right it can actually be worse for your temps, stay away from aftermarket solutions..if your barebones is designed to fit an lga1151 socket processor and a 10 series GPU rest assured it will have a proper cooling solution in place

Thermal paste can make a very minute difference in temps(like 0.5 to 1 degree) so yes,go for a good thermal paste

Side note: I strongly suggest you go in for a higher resolution than 1080p because at that resolution even a core i7 6700 k clocked at 4.2 ghz will hopelessly bottleneck your gpu,not that you'd notice at 120+ fps..
GTX 1080 can definitely handle 4k at 35+ fps for 99% of the games. Disable aa and that number can go up to the 50s. And you can always play at a lower resolution if you wish,1080p upscaled will look almost as good on a 17 inch monitor as native 1080p and trust me youll be glad you invested in 4k when you see the detail

1440p with 120hz refresh is also a good middle ground for eye candy/framerate and at the very least this is what your gpu DESERVES.

Think again.

Solution

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

A CPU does not "hopelessley bottleneck" a system based upon resolution. There is a speed that the game logic etc needs to run, the 6700k at this point can play any game beyond full speed, so no there is no such thing as "hopelessly bottlenecking" something because you're running at 1080p.

Also might I suggest answering questions that aren't almost 45 days old. Somehow I doubt the original poster will be back to read your advice or respond to you.

kunal_1991

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/cpu-being-bottleneck-at-low-res-old-games-explanation.124716/

I doubt any i7 will be able to keep up with the actual framebuffer 'speed' that the gtx 1080 can theoretically generate at 1080p. It always varies from game to game but its the arguement in general. Its a bit technical,but in a nutshell- The gtx 1080 is capable of much more than what it can output at 1080p coupled with an i7 6700k..
And that last part about answering old questions-duly noted. This thread wasnt closed when i came across it though so I thought the guy would still want answers

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
That link you posted proves nothing and your comment makes no sense in relation to it. Many games are locked to a certain performance as well. Yes some OLD games can run strangely if the resolution is too low with an overpowered CPU/GPU setup. But your use of the words "hopelessly bottleneck" is completely wrong.

Yes I agree the 1080 is a waste at 1080p, because who needs a game to run at 150fps, but even if it does there is no proof of any recent game having bottlenecking or stuttering issues because the GPU is overpowered for the resolution.