Will a non-removable battery cause overheating?

yaboyzen

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015
I am interested in purchasing an ASUS laptop

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-amd-a10-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-gray/4882013.p?id=1219644187138&skuId=4882013

but it does not have a removable battery.
I have read that laptops with non-removable batteries can cause the laptop to overheat if I play games for a long time and keep the laptop plugged in, is this true?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Also should I avoid purchasing the laptop because the battery is non-removable/harder to replace?

Solution

Yeah but it can be removed. It isnt a permanent solder or glue.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

It matters slightly where the battery is, but in my experience it didn't matter heat wise. I have the lenovo y50 non removable battery and it works great. A few things to keep in mind: 1. replacing the battery will be harder. 2. You can't get a bigger battery (can always get a battery that plugs into laptop charging port if you want). 3. you can't remove battery easily when not in use.

Don't let the lack of battery scare you away unless you really need to use the laptop on battery a lot.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Yes non removable doesn't mean non replaceable. A laptop usually lasts me a battery replacement. That is I will be replacing the battery in the laptop at least once before I get rid of the laptop.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

They just mean easily removable. If you open up the back plate and a couple screws, you should be able to disconnect the battery ribbon and get a new one.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Not zero, but a very negligible amount. Batteries outside the case get more flow then those insulated in the case behind aluminum and wiring.

sizzling

Distinguished

Batteries in laptops don't get hot, they barely get warm when charging. The charging circuit can often get warm to hot, all laptop batteries I know of come in a sealed plastic case, they don't need airflow.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Ok I am not going to fight this,because it is only a degree or two difference. Addressing the OP, the heat difference is pretty much nothing, and getting the non removable battery is perfectly fine. You can still replace the battery if you ever need to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWB35_tNJMI

sizzling

Distinguished

There is nothing to debate ('fight')

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Yeah but it can be removed. It isnt a permanent solder or glue.

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
No it's under the case so I open the case and unplug it and comes right out not soldered. Everything on the note just pops out that's why I bought it. The processor, graphics card, memory, Hd, wireless card all are replaceable.