Will an SSD save an older amd laptop?

stevenjcampbell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Is it worthwhile to install an SSD in this old laptop?

I inherited a Toshiba laptop with an AMD Dual-core E-300 cpu.

It runs very slow, even launching chrome takes ten seconds or so.

The machine isn't used. There is no third party bloat on it. It's factory new.

I have an SSD in my "old" amd fx 8350 and I feel it as the best upgrade my money could buy.

Will an SSD salvage this performance wise?

Solution
My uncle has a netbook ( those things existed before iPad became famous) with a dual core AMD Apu and 2 GB ram . It was so slow it took almost 4-5 mins to boot. After adding another 2 GB of RAM and a 240gb SSD, things improved a lot ( 30 seconds to boot). Other tasks like opening Chrome, heavy Excel sheets became very smooth. So yeah you should definitely add a SSD. Also make sure you have atleast 4-8 gigs of ram.

srimasis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2012
My uncle has a netbook ( those things existed before iPad became famous) with a dual core AMD Apu and 2 GB ram . It was so slow it took almost 4-5 mins to boot. After adding another 2 GB of RAM and a 240gb SSD, things improved a lot ( 30 seconds to boot). Other tasks like opening Chrome, heavy Excel sheets became very smooth. So yeah you should definitely add a SSD. Also make sure you have atleast 4-8 gigs of ram.

Solution

geofelt

Distinguished
I have installed a ssd on every laptop our family owns.
The difference is magical.

If your old ssd is a Samsung, the conversion is trivial.
use their ssd migration app to move your C drive to their ssd.
You may need a usb to sata adapter cable to do this($10 or so)

If it is another brand, perhaps they have a similar utility.

Otherwise, you are tasked with reinstalling windows, along with the laptop specific drivers.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

This laptop is slower than even a mid range pc from 2004. I would advise against spending money on it since it's just so weak. You are asking a bottom of the line pc from 2011 to do basic webbrowsing which it could handle somewhat decent way back in 2011 but it will just be slow for everything really.

If you want something better. Ebay has a lot of 3rd gen core i5 laptops that are on sale for about 100€ and there is simply not competition between yours and those much more powerfull laptops.

stevenjcampbell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I can't see how to quote people on mobile, to address a few of you (and many thanks for the replies).

1. It isn't a ssd to start with. Seeing as it's a new machine I don't have a problem reinstalling windows.

2. I really just need it for basic WordPress editing in Chrome.

I can get a 120 gb ssd for $49.00 and I'd like to keep the machine for sentimental reasons.

geofelt

Distinguished
What is the make/model of your laptop.
It might be useful to google ssd replacement for your particular make/model just to verify that you actually can make the change, and also to verify what size ssd you need.
Most current sata ssd devices are now 7mm high.
But some older devices needed 9mm drives.
Also, you will see how to find the drive slot; some laptops are tricky to disassemble.

You may have difficulty in finding drivers for such an old laptop.
Keyboard, wifi, and graphics drivers in particular.

Spend a bit more for a Samsung evo.
120gb is all you really need.
Buy a sata to usb cable from Walmart<$10
( https://www.walmart.com/ip/USB-3-0-to-SATA-Adapter-Cable-for-2-5-SSD-HDD-Drives-External-Converter-Cable/766053042?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2961&adid=22222222227081713495&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=193698146384&wl4=pla-309283415755&wl5=9011564&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113509951&wl11=online&wl12=766053042&wl13=&veh=sem) and you have an easy conversion.