Will any virus survive a system format

MiloshDr

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
By virus I mean worms, malware, anything that is bad basically no particular one.

Or is it possible for a virus to embed in the system. How sophisticated can a virus be?

Solution
yes, it could infect the MBR on the hard drive which is not wiped in a format. not sure how advanced such a virus is capable of being but I imagine it could be advanced enough to enable something on a fresh windows install to autoload a more complex virus.

Technically I imagine you could infect the "bios" as well, though resetting the bios would likely clear that unless the attacker had physical access to the machine.

Don't think a virus would survive anywhere but the HDD/SSD or BIOS due to everything else being stored on volatile memory. feasible if any hardware you have that can be flashed could be loaded with a virus but that'd be a really targeted type of virus as it'd only work on that specific model of hardware.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
yes, it could infect the MBR on the hard drive which is not wiped in a format. not sure how advanced such a virus is capable of being but I imagine it could be advanced enough to enable something on a fresh windows install to autoload a more complex virus.

Technically I imagine you could infect the "bios" as well, though resetting the bios would likely clear that unless the attacker had physical access to the machine.

Don't think a virus would survive anywhere but the HDD/SSD or BIOS due to everything else being stored on volatile memory. feasible if any hardware you have that can be flashed could be loaded with a virus but that'd be a really targeted type of virus as it'd only work on that specific model of hardware.

Solution