Solved! Will I lose all my music on my laptop if I do a restore, I have lose my desk top and can't find it

Dec 29, 2018
Windows 7 hp, while updating for 9 hours I restarted my laptop because I thought something was wrong since it was taking so long to do it. Now my desk top is gone, when I turn my laptop on a white box comes up and says desktop not available, and so on. What can I do without losing my music and pictures that I have on it

Solution
Restore, will NOT delete any files you have added yourself.
It simply loads up "backed up files" from a previous state window itself made.

If Restore works, your files will be fine. Personally, if it was taking 9 hours to update, there is something seriously wrong with your PC and it could be a sign of hard disk failure.

If you got some cash, back everything up to dropbox/google drive etc.
To check if your HDD is failing, download and install HD Sentinel - free for 30 days. It will give you an Accurate Reading of your hard disk life expectancy as well as tell you what errors there are.

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Restore, will NOT delete any files you have added yourself.
It simply loads up "backed up files" from a previous state window itself made.

If Restore works, your files will be fine. Personally, if it was taking 9 hours to update, there is something seriously wrong with your PC and it could be a sign of hard disk failure.

If you got some cash, back everything up to dropbox/google drive etc.
To check if your HDD is failing, download and install HD Sentinel - free for 30 days. It will give you an Accurate Reading of your hard disk life expectancy as well as tell you what errors there are.

Solution

Dave8671

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
9 hours is a bit long. I think there was a under laying issue for the update to take do long. Asume you do not have a win7 installation disc? If not to get your music and data off on to another drive I would download knoppix (linux) recovery distro below and burn the iso using cdburnerxp once both are installed.

Option 1

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

https://www.cdburnerxp.se

You will need a external drive to backup the music and pictures.

After the above is done than discuss the a way to get the system back to normal.

Btw do you have a system recovery partition on your system?