Will metal desk damage my laptop?!

omaer97

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I put my HP elitebook x360 1030 on my laptop cooling pad which have metal components, my laptop has magnets on its bottom that attach with magnets on top of the screen, but the magnets in the bottom also attach to the metal components of my cooling pad , so will this affect my laptop??

Solution
It's nothing to be concerned about, you may put it on there. Even if your laptop is made of metal, important stuff is supposed to be shielded by coating or some insulating piece of plastic of any sort. Nothing to worry about, it's like not driving your car because someone could crash into you. It is possible, but will not normally happen.

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
This is a tricky question to answer. In theory, no, there shouldn't be a problem, manufacturers are aware that people may use their devices this way. However, you should take into account that if for some crazy reason there's an electrical discharge that goes through your cooling pad, it will also go through the laptop. Depending on many factors such as if it's plugged in, the way components are grounded and so on, it may or may not affect it.

TL;DR: No, you should be fine

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
It's nothing to be concerned about, you may put it on there. Even if your laptop is made of metal, important stuff is supposed to be shielded by coating or some insulating piece of plastic of any sort. Nothing to worry about, it's like not driving your car because someone could crash into you. It is possible, but will not normally happen.

Solution