Will Microsoft Ruin Minecraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoboscience

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I would not be worried about Microsoft ruining Minecraft but I'm not convinced this was the wisest purchase. 2.5 Billion sounds like a ridiculous price. Rather than risking 2.5 billion, how about investing 1/10th of that number in your own minecraft-like game that has potential to trump Mojang and make it a XBONE exclusive. Wouldn't this be the cheaper and a wiser choice?

MrGulio

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
Rather than risking 2.5 billion, how about investing 1/10th of that number in your own minecraft-like game that has potential to trump Mojang and make it a XBONE exclusive. Wouldn't this be the cheaper and a wiser choice?

Because many, many developers have tried to make a successful Minecraft clone and all have failed. Minecraft as a brand is extremely strong and it resonates with both Children and Adult fans. That's why you see Minecraft toys and clothing even in traditional retail shops and not just on a few e-commerce sites that dedicate themselves to niche products (Jinx, ThinkGeek, etc).

Is this worth 2.5 billion? Microsoft seems to think so and if they can spin this into making the Xbox One more successful it may be.

popfindlay

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
There's just enough time to make a few "improvements", bundle it with Windows 9 and the next phone release to improve uptake, and oops, Windows XP and 7 are no longer supported. Click OK to go to the Microsoft store for an upgrade.

CynicalPotato

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
"When they create a game in the future, people will say, 'I know Mojang.' Especially in digital space, it's more difficult to find presence than a storefront. Having a strong developer brand is important."

Because that worked so well with Rare.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
If MS uses Minecraft to force people into their ecosystem, eventually cutting off the other channels of play, then they will ruin everything. If they keep it where it is today, then no problem.

ipwitan

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Remember Age of Empires - I still play that with my son. Rise of Nations. Age of Mythology. Those are still great games and are 15 years old. The only thing negative I can say is that since the XBOX they really haven't made many big PC games.

Minecraft is not perfect. I still wish it had a server that was not so complicated to get up and running. Bukkit/Vanilla - make it easier. Performance could be improved.

So for the bashers, I would be very curious if you could throw in the gaming companies that you do like. EA certainly doesn't have a good track record.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
When I look at MS in gaming, specially in PC gaming, I will think of Ensemble Studio (the maker of the great Age of Empires series, Age of Mythology), ACES Game Studio (the maker of the legendary MS Flight Simulator series) and how MS shaft them. After MS created Xbox division, MS development in PC gaming was almost down to zero. Just take a look at the snail pace DirectX development. There is a reason why the BIGGEST PC gaming software digital distribution outlet is owned by a game company (Steam, Valve Corporation), not the WORLD BIGGEST software company Microsoft. Everything MS does now in the gaming sector is because of the Xbox. Like buying this Minecraft for $2.5B

I rather Minecraft (for PC) is having a very very slow development phrase (but with LOTS communities support). I don't need/want Minecraft to become something like EA products (FIFA 2014, 2015... or Battlefield series with absolutely no mod support). And the most important is Minecraft is a PC game (first) with lots of freedom and then ported to console. Mark my word, after MS bought Minecraft, if there will be a Minecraft 2, it will be a console game first and then port back to PC. Or worse, console first, mobile devices second and then PC.

BTW, do you know how is MS Age of Empires series doing now? After Ensemble Studio was closed and no more PC development. Then MS made Age of Empires online but no one play it (a bad pay to win game). And now the newest AoE is another money grabbing free to play mobile for devices.

https://www.aoewd.com/

Let's see how fast Microsoft will become the next AoE...

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I don't get the appeal of Minecraft. My daughter is obsessed with it, her friends play it, and I just shake my head, because the graphics look like something on an Atari 2600.

The game apparently doesn't even have a point! Why not play one of many other games, that is a sandbox, with much better graphics?

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
They should of bought it for a much lower price...

2.5$ billion dollars is just crazy. The good thing is that this definitely means minecraft will have continued development.

Worse

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
Won't be long now until you see Minecraft on the cover of every XBOX. $20 game for free, knowing you'll drop more $ for the dlc.

Imagine the pull on kids if they see Minecraft on every xbox.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Microsoft tends to polish their games, and one thing Minecraft desperately needs is polish. Also this running with excessive attention on Microsoft's technologies will mean they get a lot more out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.