Will this Method for Swapping out Laptop Hard drive Work?

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I'm going to swap out my laptop hard drive for a Seagate Momentum XT. I have Acronis Image and want to know if I can simply create an image of the current drive, save it on an external hard drive (WD Passport), install the new drive, boot from the Acronis boot CD, and then copy the image from the external drive to the new one and have it work?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I've never used the software, but if that is the procedure for doing just that then you'll just have to make sure that your laptop will boot from the software disc and support transferring the image from the passport to the new internal drive...
Personally, I've always used drive copy and installed the new target drive in my tower with an adapter if ide or just lay the new sata drive beside the tower and clone the old drive to the new one and then put the new drive in the laptop and no problems...
Check the software information and notes for specific limitations and procedures.
Hope this helps....JQ

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Laptop Tech Support 5
J Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 2
E Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 2
I Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 6
P Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
F Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 6
D Laptop Tech Support 5
O Laptop Tech Support 0
Similar threads
Dell hdmi input methods
Sir I need ur help sir here in my laptop something showing Windows error recovery I try all methods but it showing again lik
How to disable the shift key to change language input method?
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 510, and my laptop just shows a blank screen and a cursor, I tried the Ctrl+Alt+Delete method and some
How do I reset an old toshiba satellite laptop, I forgot my password and the zero button method and f12 method doesn't work?
My asus notebook won't turn on even after i tried the methods where you hold your power button for 45 seconds
I think if you wish to fix the screen flickering or flashing of a creen just use simple method
I forgot password for my laptop and the F8 method isn't working
I can't do the holding method help!!!!
My lapto is stuck on a bootloop! It's an aspire one cloud book 14 I've tried F-10 method and f2 it will not even reset!! Pleas
Can't find microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery in Device Manager
Hi,I have a Toshiba Satellite C670 (PSC3LC-01D00Q), and i have tried all of the above methods, either they didn't work, or i c
Any Special Method Required for Lenovo Y50 Laptop System Restore?
I don't have any disk for my toshiba how do I factory reset without the disk or the holding 0 method satellite
my swtich as well as the fn+f5 is not working any other method ?
asus laptop screen black; method of Richard_1975 works!
Lenovo Laptop will only start up using a recovery method
Finding the Right Cooling/Protection Method for Air Vent on the Right Side of PC
if i could only get a permanent method of clearing computers bioses
Having trouble booting from recovery partitions? All cominations and methods failing? AN EASY SOLUTION

ASK THE COMMUNITY