Will this sound bar work with this TV?

tomdoughnut

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
So i'm a complete noob when it comes to sound bars. I've never used one and therefore have no idea how they hook up to a TV. I wanted to get my mum one for her birthday and wondered if i'd be able to hook one up to her TV. Here's a link to all the ports on her TV http://imgur.com/bguPQjG. And here's a link to the sound bar I was thinking about getting her http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I98DHW8/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE. If anyone can help me out i'd be super appreciative.

Many thanks.

Tom

Solution
No it will not. The soundbar only has toslink/optical input (just had to search the model on sony's site).

What equipment do you have besides the TV, and is your cable connection directly to the TV or a receiver?

Your older TV only has SCART as an option to output sound, all other ports are input only.
No it will not. The soundbar only has toslink/optical input (just had to search the model on sony's site).

What equipment do you have besides the TV, and is your cable connection directly to the TV or a receiver?

Your older TV only has SCART as an option to output sound, all other ports are input only.

Solution

tomdoughnut

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

We've got a DVD player and a Tivo box hooked up to the TV and the connection is directly to the TV. I guess I'll have to invest in a new TV if I want to hook up a sound bar. Thanks for the help.

tomdoughnut

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Unfortunately I don't think we have the manual anymore and when I found at the name of the TV in the past barely anything comes up online about it. It's probably around 3 - 4 years old and was made by some company I've never heard of called Visual Innovations. Thanks for the suggestion but as I said I don't think there's much information on this TV. I may have to look into buying a newer one in the future.

With a new TV that soundbar would work fine.

You would connect all items to the TV and just output the toslink to the soundbar.

For general reference there is for the most part two types of configurations depending on what connections are available.
TV centered: all source devices connect to TV, TV outputs audio to receiver/soundbar
Receiver centered: all source devices connected to receiver, receiver outputs video to TV

That soundbar has optical,coax & rca inputs.
Even if the scart 1 socket isnt 2-way on the TV I'm sure it would work fine directly with the TiVo box & DVD player connected.
I assume your DVD player has an optical out & the TiVo has rca (red/white) or vice versa in which case you'll be fine.you even get those cables with the soundbar.
f9eb7bfce20ae28113503be3ea6057d1_8494.jpg

Gesh, when I looked up the model on Samsung's website it only said optical in and out.

If between TiVo and the DVD player one has RCA and one has optical you can connect like that, but will likely need to have the unit switch between them.

tomdoughnut

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
So here's a picture I just quickly made showing the sound bar and the Tivo box http://i.imgur.com/MyjPeCp.jpg. You guys are saying if I hook the two up with a cable then the sound bar should work just fine?