Will Wright: Cloud Gaming is Definitely The Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The games still need to be ported to each device Wright lists (desktop, laptop, console, smartphone, and tablet) for at least the next 5 years because people DO NOT WANT games that they can ONLY play when online. That is a REQUIREMENT for cloud gaming. For many US customers, broadband connections are still not always available where they live, work and/or play. Customers want to be able to play when on the move (in the car, plane, bus, and train), and broadband internet connections when on the move is not yet commonplace. Therefore, games will need to run locally, namely on the device the customer is holding in their hands when they are NOT ONLINE.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
This guy is an idiot! All cloud based gaming equals is online always DRM like Diablo 3. I want to purchase my game and play as I want without having to worry about my savefiles going away if the company gets hacked. These games won't stand the test of time either. Once interest and support has feigned, the game goes away.

Then this F2P crap is just that, crap! Games that nickel and dime you to death for virtual stuff. I like to pay for a game and know that I have a "complete" game. Even if the F2p title starts out as not pay-to-win, as interest declines, it will eventually end up as pay-to-win.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I think cloud gaming has some potential. It's not viable for mid/high end gaming, but I think it's certainly on it's way and worth considering for your social gamers and non-hardcore gamers.

Example:
Square is re-releasing FF7 - I could see that as a chrome browser plug-in and everything is just streamed to your browser session - then updates are posted to Social Media of your choice and it could include non-invasive ads or in-game advertising as a revenue stream as a non-traditional FTP model (rather than using micro-transactions)

This sort of stuff has been a long time coming. I recall a network engineer I used to work with wanted to do something like that using Xenapp, but the tech wasn't in place yet. I think we'll see it start to emerge in the next 3-5 years pretty heavy with decent graphics.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I think Cloud is nothing more than a Trojan horse by controlling corporations to further limit what the consumer gets to own let alone use. Without an online service it is pointless as some live far outside serviceable areas or have very limited connections bandwidth wise or total data use. With all the data caps such a concept is extremely limited unless one is only using it for word or excel docs.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
My 20 MB/s down network typically has 400-1200 ms of latency with major packet loss (1%-15%) during medium load, average of 10-15 MB/s download.

So, no thanks.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
A mixture of Cloud and local files is the more likely option, a bit like Steam games, the main game files are installed locally but all your settings and game saves are cloud sync'd
Combine this with Windows 8 on a USB stick and I can take my all my local Steam content with me as well

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Will Wright's as much of a myopic dreamer as Peter Molyneux when it comes to stuff like this. Cloud gaming won't take off any time soon, because of the bandwidth caps, latency problems, and general unreliability of Server-based gaming. The only real valid point he makes is that buying a $60 game and having it available for all platforms would definitely improve the game's value. After all, it is essentially the same piece of software, I shouldn't have to buy it multiple times.

However, he's dreaming if he thinks that the Zynga approach to building games will ever result in a facebook game becoming AAA quality and still F2P. It doesn't happen, because of the exponentially increasing costs of development that AAA titles have over crappy facebook games. AAA titles get made into facebook games: Sims for facebook, not coincidentally is a Will Wright game. He's preaching about going forward, but in reality he's simply moving his garbage backward.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Still misses the point that bandwidth caps are in place amongst a growing majority of users. Unless people are casual gamers or want to pay overage fees then this will never catch on.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The thing you have to remember about a lot of these articles about what the future of [insert industry here] is that it's not really about what trends the consumers like/want, but what is the next logical iteration, and what will make more money for the product maker. Case in point, most people if you asked them ten years ago would not care too much about being able to play their PC game on a console, or on some handheld device. It's not that no one thought of it, but no one really wanted or cared about it. But for producers it makes a lot of sense, getting you to always play their games and produce the illusion that you always need to be connected to them. In reality I wonder how many people even will end up migrating their games around a bunch of devices. If you have a gaming rig, will you really want to suffer the downgrade in everything just to scratch an itch to play it while you're waiting for a bus? Again, this just makes things easier/more profitable for producers. They make one game and port it everywhere, the same way PC gamers complain about what they do now with porting console games to PC.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]F2P crap is just that, crap! Games that nickel and dime you to death for virtual stuff. I like to pay for a game and know that I have a "complete" game. Even if the F2p title starts out as not pay-to-win, as interest declines, it will eventually end up as pay-to-win.[/citation]
+1

And the creator of the Sims. The game that teaches us that you can build a game(leave out lots of stuff) then add the smallest little things to it as an expansion and make loads of money(Expansions, Stuff packs, in game purchases). NO THANKS.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I'm sure EA and Activision would love it. The can then control every aspect of you gaming experience and even watch you play if they want. A control freaks dream. If this ever comes true I stop gaming.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I think Cloud is nothing more than a Trojan horse by controlling corporations to further limit what the consumer gets to own let alone use. Without an online service it is pointless as some live far outside serviceable areas or have very limited connections bandwidth wise or total data use. With all the data caps such a concept is extremely limited unless one is only using it for word or excel docs.[/citation]
Well said and soooo true.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Am I alone that hate free to play model ? I prefer to pay 60$ to ownt he full game then having to spend money everytime that I want to do something. Like every good looking armor suite tgar sell for real $

You end spending a way more then 60$ if you buy everything. I hate Free2play.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]This guy is an idiot! All cloud based gaming equals is online always DRM like Diablo 3. [/citation]

You couldn't be more wrong! Cloud gaming is not ran on your local computer!
"Gaming on demand is a game service which will take advantage of a broadband connection, large server clusters, encryption and compression to stream game content directly to a subscriber. Game content isn't stored on the user's machine and game code execution occurs primarily at the server so a less powerful computer can be used than the game would normally require"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
1) A "Free to Play" title gets an automatic NO from me.

2) I could care less about playing games on anything but my computers. That means desktop, possibly laptop, but I don't even own a laptop now and have no real reason to buy one.

3) If a game is dumbed-down to run on something like a tablet, it will also get automatically put in the NO category.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
The future for investors and pocket fillers (money wise),
It's not really the future for hardcore gamers at all!

Only flash based games etc are good on the cloud

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]You couldn't be more wrong! Cloud gaming is not ran on your local computer!"Gaming on demand is a game service which will take advantage of a broadband connection, large server clusters, encryption and compression to stream game content directly to a subscriber. Game content isn't stored on the user's machine and game code execution occurs primarily at the server so a less powerful computer can be used than the game would normally require" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming[/citation]

What did you post that disproved his statement about Cloud based gaming being equivalent to "Always Online DRM"? If anything you strengthened it.

Status
Not open for further replies.