Will Wright Speaks on Spore DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In the article i think the author meant brick and mortar instead of "brink and motor," like a brick and mortar retailer such as Target or Bestbuy.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Will Wright couldn’t be more off the mark.

you couldn't be more off the mark Parrish. unless there was a poll/survey/study that i dont know about, this sounds more like a personal opinion than fact. again he said one of the more valid concerns. will wright was on the mark, he didn't include every reason DRM sucked, but you writing that Mr. Parrish is wrong.

G

I think what companies fail to realize is that most pirated games wouldn't have been purchased in the first place. Look at Stardock. No DRM no secureRom, heck I don't even have to have the disk in my tray to play Sins or Galc Civ and guess what? I bought the game.

badboy4dee

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Will Wright.....STFU what an A-hole huh? How much money he sukn down the company with? Don't talk about piracy unless your willing to tell us how much money your "making". Kevin Parrish is RIGHT ON THE MARK! Software that installs without informing the user is just like hacking, spyware and viruses. Nobody likes it except MR Willya give me yo money and yo browsing habits, personal info... oh yea I heard how "we don't do that". STFU! Sony was sued over the same thing with their music CD's. I don't rent/buy Sperm or Spore whatever it is and will never rent it. FYI - it's easier to hack it and uninstall their uninstallable software and run it virtual. Who buys thi$ cr@p anyway? Some 30year old teenager living in the basement with mom or some noob kid?

TSM

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]badboy4dee[/nom]Who buys thi$ cr@p anyway? Some 30year old teenager living in the basement with mom[/citation]

/facepalm

A 30 year old TEENAGER?????

I do think rootkit (or rootkit-like) software is detrimental to consumers, can't stop hackers and generally hurts the consumers more than the pirates, and I'm sure stardock has a great point about DRM, also their gamers bill of rights is quite a good initiative.

I really hope EA realizes soon that the market won't tolerate invasive DRM any longer and switch their views to a more blizzard-like way, Starcraft, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 were very easy to pirate, but the online component was lost that way, I actually bought starcraft after beating the campaign in a pirated copy, go figure.

G

Quote: "Who buys thi$ cr@p anyway? Some 30year old teenager living in the basement with mom or some noob kid?"

It's more likely that the person who pirates the game is the one "living in the basement with mom or some noob kid", as you put it. ...because they can't afford it, hence the living with mom.

My only complaint with whole DRM is that if I want to format my machine every so often (which I do), I don't want to have to be concerned that the game might not run, or that I might have to deal with the hassle of getting something I bought "unlocked".

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Hey, do any of you know of any good "secure rom blocker" software. Something that will detect and prevent the software from being installed? Most of the time you don't know it's being installed along with whatever game you purchased. Or maybe if there was a centralized database of titles that come with securerom?

Long live anti-CD/DVD cracks and ISO images. Why do games still try to require the disc be in the drive?!?!?! It's so Funking annoying. I own a ton of games, it's a hassle to go find the play disc (either #1 #2 or #5, sometimes not labled) and I like to rotate games frequently to keep it fresh. Maybe I should go buy one of those TB hdd's just to keep permanently mounted ISO's of all my play discs.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
ohhh, and I'm sure the cd/dvd cracks we find are probably stealing our CD-Keys, but so what if it makes the experience for me generally easier. (until I install a patch and then have to re-crack) Once again publishers shooting themselves in the foot with 'play' discs.

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
....SecuRom will lead to the gaming company's going out of business. They will have to be bailed out by the federal government... or EA... whoever is more powerful..PC gamers will move to consoles..trading a free platform for a proprietary DRM infested box...the world will crumble under the weight of it's own stupidity as game companies charge 200$ for Madden Wars 2020...PC gamers will mix with console gamers and there will be a net intelligence loss..
Nostradamus

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Why don't they all go with Steam. I really don't see the issue. I bought the Orange Box in the store, and it registered it on steam. This was really useful for me, as I didn't have to deal with any validation, or even Discs (or patches).

I do reformat my PC quite a bit, and all I have to have installed is Steam, and all my games are right there. I don't have to install and validate the game, install all the latest patches, just to play. I press install, it installs, then I play.

I hate Digital Distribution in general, but I love Steam.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]FrumpyLogic[/nom]Quote: "Who buys thi$ cr@p anyway? Some 30year old teenager living in the basement with mom or some noob kid?" It's more likely that the person who pirates the game is the one "living in the basement with mom or some noob kid", as you put it. ...because they can't afford it, hence the living with mom.My only complaint with whole DRM is that if I want to format my machine every so often (which I do), I don't want to have to be concerned that the game might not run, or that I might have to deal with the hassle of getting something I bought "unlocked".[/citation]

Right, I pirated Spore, yet I'm willing to bet I buy more games a year then you. Same with most "pirates." Funny how pirates actually stole things yet software "pirates" do not steal anything. All they do is break copyright laws. Not stealing.

G

I buy all the games and get the crack from torrent sites.

I'm pissed off that the honest guys are the ones that actually eat the DRM shit.

I think they'll never learn. There will be a time when this will not be acceptable anymore and their products will just collect dust. Hope that day comes soon.

Thumbs up to Stardock.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I think valve really has it done right. As long as you always have access to the internet and remember your account info, you have a copy of the game. You can play the game on ANY computer, install it on ANY computer. Only limitation is that only one computer can be logged in at any one time. Its simple, fair, and safer then a dvd. You can't scratch an account username and password beyond use afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.